“Great Family Fun”

National Comedy Theatre New York
Ranked #21 of 147 Fun & Games in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: The home of the nationally acclaimed National Comedy Theatre. Hilarious improv comedy that is performed every Friday and Saturday night. Appropriate for all audiences.
Ellicott City, Maryland
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great Family Fun”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We went to this theater last Friday night for the 7:30 show. We were a group of 9; 5 kids ranging in ages from 10 to 20 & 4 adults. Everyone enjoyed the show. It was funny & totally family friendly. The best part was the price! For the cost of a movie ticket we saw a live interactive improv show that kept everyone laughing for the whole hour & a half. We go to NYC yearly & always look for something new to do. For this visit, the comedy show was our "something new". Now, we will have to add it to our favorites list for future shows.

Visited December 2013

New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Big Fish in a Big City”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

There is nothing not to love about this very intimate, clever, funny and very affordable improv theater experience. My daughter recently attended with her very sophisticated NYC friends to celebrate her 22 birthday. They all loved it! Staff is very accommodating ...especially Heather who went out her way to make the evening especially special. I have attended several time since the company first arrived in New York and highly recommend it.

NJ
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Good for kids”
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Very sedate, formulaic improv show. Since they are family friendly, the comedy is very safe and far from edgy. There were some good humor, but not enough for me to return.

Derby, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Good to kill a couple of hours in NYC”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

This is a great little venue and since I'm into "grass roots" comedy, improv is always good to check out.

The performers were enthusiastic and crowd participation was excellent to begin with - inspires you to get involved yourself, even if you're not usually the type. I didn't hold back throwing all kinds of ideas at the stage.

I was a bit surprised however that the improv is slightly simpler and less advanced than you would find on old shows such as "Whose Line Is It Anyway?", dumbing it down to "What's your favourite movie" or "What's your favourite celebrity" as a source of input for ideas, when I put a more challenging idea upon the performers they seemed to really struggle with the material. That said, they did try their best.

The first part of the performance was very good and involving, but the second part was more like a friends night out allowing every one else to watch as audience participation waned, which I felt was a shame and a bit of an anticlimax to what began as a really entertaining show. However, I guess that's what you get with improv - in general improv comedy can be "hit and miss", so if you like comedy and you want to see something a bit different then I recommend it. It's unfair to give this "average" but as the next setting is "very good" I'd say it's more a 3.5 than a 3...but not worthy of a 4.

Kauniainen, Finland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great improv, kid-friendly too”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

On our visit to NYC we wanted to see a comedy show but with kids (11 and 15 yrs) we wanted something clean. We booked a show at NCT and we not disappointed! The games were fun and the comedians really energetic. Our kids didn't know what to expect but by the end they would have wanted more! Great fun and perfect for kids too. Thanks NCT.

Visited October 2013