“Certain vendors need major training on what NOT to say”

Jacob Javits Convention Center
Book In Advance
More Info
$24.99*
and up
Circle Line: NYC Liberty Cruise
Ranked #167 of 1,122 things to do in New York City
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This was my first year attending the NY Times travel show. I was so excited to learn about far away lands to discover. I got the wind knocked out of me at the second exhibitor, Mexico. I asked for some information and brochures. I asked if it was safe to travel there for Americans. Well the man speaking to me seethed and said to me, "I'll tell you what I told another woman last year.. You know what happened in that Connecticut school last winter? Well that doesn't happen in Mexico. We hear about much violence in your country as well."

I was appalled. This man was so aggressive. All I could think about was what if I happened to be from Sandy Hook, ct and I was visiting the travel show in NY?? This was a horrible thing to say and all I ask is that ALL vendors be better trained on their approach with people.. What's appropriate or inappropriate and/or what others may take offense too.

Needless to say, I left my brochures and left

Reviewed January 7, 2014

It was exciting to see all types of boats here. My husband loves boats and he looked like a kid in a candy shop. We even caught the Swamp Master's Gator Show--it was for the kids but I loved it ha. It takes a few hours to walk around this huge convention center, so I was mildy disappointed in the food area. It wasn't horrible--hot dogs, pretzels--but I was expecting more being in NYC!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

With dozens of hotels within walking distance (including mine for this trip: Best Western Premier Herald Square, reviewed elsewhere in these pages), getting to and from the sessions at the 2013 Content and Communications World conference was a snap--even on the uncharacteristically frigid opening day: armed with a steaming cup of hot coffee and a thick wool scarf, the 10-minute walk was truly invigorating.

Once on site, the confirmation scanner--designed to automatically produce my badge--was unable to get its electrons all in a row. No worries: there was no lineup for a real person to efficiently accomplish the task and with a smile on her face.

From there it was off to one of the opening plenaries. It took three tries asking the security staff to actually find Conference Room One--the center's signage leaves a lot to be desired so do plan to arrive early if visiting for the first time. Similarly, the closest washroom was hidden away behind traffic-controlling drapes--fortunately I anxiously asked the right question to a fellow attendee before any "damage" was done.

Overall the center is showing its age, but--once figuring out where everything is--functions very well, bringing delegates and exhibitors together under one large roof.

Thank S. James W
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Recently exhibited at the IHMRS with the company I work for, and the Javits Center was gorgeous, so remarkably designed to allow you to truly be in the middle of the city with the skyline towering above you - even from inside. A good sized convention center, whereas it wasn't so huge that you could get lost or not want to walk from convention hall to the seminar spaces to the food court and back again. Plus, all the employees I encountered were friendly and helpful. One security guard in particular even let us come back in after hours to wait for a friend who went separate ways from us for a few hours and were re-meeting to head back out of town together. He was friendly and offered tips on where to go in NYC while he waited with us for a while. It's location is easy to get to, and there are several small parking lots around the center. Plus, it's walking distance to the Garment District, Times Square, the famous Macy's, Penn Station, and lots of great eating and shopping opportunities. No taxi line, but pretty easy to hail a cab from the 35th/11th entrance.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

echoing the reviews of others... I found the venue staff to be uninformed and impatient. It was a neat experience, but not something I'd rush back to visit again.