“Any other budget hotel BUT this!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Mount Royal Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #432 of 467 Hotels in New York City
boston
“Any other budget hotel BUT this!”
Reviewed October 1, 2006

This is my 1st budget hotel experience and the worst of its kind in NYC! I thought ALL budget hotels in NY were like it and glad tried 2 others recently (Look for Belnord Hotel and Grant Hotel) so now I could really make a comparison. For the price, you get what you pay for!! BUT in the 2 other hotels that I mentioned, they're far better than Mount Royal for the same price!! With that given, compared to the 2 others, Mount Royal is soo old it looks like it's gonna fall apart any minute. The sheets are old, thin, rough and really something I would NOT consider beddings. Don't even use their towels. We brought in our own towels and beddings. It's hard to sleep when you're thinking of bugs or what could be crawling underneath that old beat up bed. The venyl flooring was dirty and old and peeling. The one we stayed at had no airconditioner, only a fan. The bathrooms are relatively new but not well maintained. There are no mirrors anywhere. Going through the halls, you'd get a glimpse of how old the building is. The elevator was a scary ride- would rather use the stairs...

Because I stayed at 2 other hotels for the same price recently, I had to give it a terrible rating-otherwise it's okay if you can't book anywhere else. You'd survive a day or two there once in your life and then you could say- never again!! (It's funny because Mount Royal is almost just fronting Grant Hotel- they're the same price range BUT Grant Hotel certainly has above average accommodation!)

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — All of it...
  • Tips/Secrets — Book this as your LAST resort, as in your desperation and hope for the best!
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank freebird74

Melbourne
Reviewed August 26, 2006

It was my first trip to New York and me and my bf decided to book online. We researched prices, photos and location and decided that Mount Royal looked really nice and was a good price. How WRONG we were. The photos they show are not what you get. On the outside the "hotel" looks lovely but once you get to your room you realise you are in Hell. The sheets were filthy and we had no blankets or Doonas. I went downstairs to get us a blanket but the staff were so rude and un helpfull I couldnt believe it. They did give us 1 very thin blanket (It was winter) so I asked for 1 more but they wouldnt give it to us. Our "room" was right next to the DISGUSTING bathroom. The toilet overflowed daily and the shower would only work occasionally. We told the staff that the shower wasnt working and they said there wasnt anything they could do because they dont know how it works. We had to run to other levels to have a shower. This Hotel totally ruined our time in New York. Because going back to it made us anxious and we didnt have enough money to move to another Hotel so we had to stay our whole 14 days. DONT stay here ever!

• Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank fashion_hayley

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Reviewed July 7, 2006

The Mont Royal Hotel is actually classifed by the City of New York as a SRO. It is supposed to provide housing for the poor. The owner, Fitos Neophytou, is being sued by the Dept of Housing for "illeaglly converting the SRO to a hotel and advertising it". His buildings are rife with housing code violations, many pertaining to lack of smoke alarms and inadequate fire escape routes. See the July 5 issue of "The Village Voice" where Mr Neophytou is featured as one of the 10 worst landlords in NYC. Please enjoy your stay in NYC and find a better place to rest your head.

• Stayed July 2006
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
MA
Reviewed June 21, 2006

My girldfriend and I stayed in this Hotel during 3 nights. At our arrival, the staff was unfriendly and, as indicated on their website, they do not accept credit cards. Instead you have to use the ATM located in the lobby. The hotel is old, not very well maintained and has been repainted tens of times. Floors are covered with old brown carpets. The bathrooms are in quite bad condition but we always had hot water. The room was big and was equiped with an AC system (noisy).
In conclusion, this is a relatively cheap hotel for people who are not expecting any luxury. I would classify it as a old youth hostel. The hotel is quite well located though, only 2 blocks away from the metro station.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank Seb3343
Reviewed June 12, 2006

After reserving a room for one night online 2 weeks prior to arrival.... we were excited to go. when we arrived front desk was rude, asked us for ID and then denied us our reserved room because we were from new york... how can someone be denied if it was pre-reserved? they said they didn't serve in state people.... I never read such a thing on their site... they claimed that they didn't take our money that was charged.... but when in fact we called our agent and found they did take our money... protocal was taken and money was returned.... trust me... just save yourself all the hassel... the cheap rates of this hotel is not worth the rudeness and dump of a stay in the city. The comfort Inn up the block was so much better.

• Stayed March 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Zeewolde, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 30, 2006

I really don't understand why there are people that have the nerve to rate this hotel/hostel as excellent! They must be friends with the owner.

Also it's nonsense to remind people that they shoul'dn't expect much because it's a hostel. True, you can't expect luxury for this price, but even a hostel has to be clean! The only thing that looked clean here were the marble steps leading to the entrance. The stairs inside were made of the same marble, but only unrecognizable due to all the dirt. The room was completely bare, and stank, even the matrass stank. There wasn't even a hook to hang your towel on, well I did find a nail protruding from the wall which I used..., or a waste basket. The room itself did look like a waste basket though. The carpet was filthy, and there simply were piles of dust on the heating, which of course didn't work even though it was freezing cold in the room. Also you have the chance to get up really early... to really make something of your day... because the blinds don't close completely, which also robbed us from any privacy. Then again even if they would have shut completely, they still would have let all the light through.

Thank god we only had to stay here for one night, since our hotel was overbooked. We booked the Apollo Inn, in Harlem, which obviously belongs to the same owner, only this hotel is clearly in an 'after renovation state', instead of the Mount Royal Pain in the Ass where they are just starting. I hope...Even though the neighbourhood is less friendly, this hotel was a relief.

You either have to close completely if you're renovating, or stay open but still take good care of your guests, otherwise you're just out to take people for their money for which they get nothing in return. If I pay for something, no matter how much or little, I expect at least to be treated like a human being, and this was simply degrading and insulting.
Please do not forget to look at my pictures to verify if I'm telling the truth....

• Stayed May 2006
10 Thank animalpalace3
Reviewed May 28, 2006

me and my partner spent 10 days over xmas and new year in new york. As it was our first time we wanted something basic as we would be out all day. We found the mount royal to be perfect for what we needed. We had a clean room, clean comfy bed with clean sheets, hot water and fantastic location! .....cant complain at all!!

• Stayed December 2005