“This hotel is illegal”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Mount Royal Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #432 of 466 Hotels in New York City
“This hotel is illegal”
Reviewed July 7, 2006

The Mont Royal Hotel is actually classifed by the City of New York as a SRO. It is supposed to provide housing for the poor. The owner, Fitos Neophytou, is being sued by the Dept of Housing for "illeaglly converting the SRO to a hotel and advertising it". His buildings are rife with housing code violations, many pertaining to lack of smoke alarms and inadequate fire escape routes. See the July 5 issue of "The Village Voice" where Mr Neophytou is featured as one of the 10 worst landlords in NYC. Please enjoy your stay in NYC and find a better place to rest your head.

• Stayed July 2006
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

MA
Reviewed June 21, 2006

My girldfriend and I stayed in this Hotel during 3 nights. At our arrival, the staff was unfriendly and, as indicated on their website, they do not accept credit cards. Instead you have to use the ATM located in the lobby. The hotel is old, not very well maintained and has been repainted tens of times. Floors are covered with old brown carpets. The bathrooms are in quite bad condition but we always had hot water. The room was big and was equiped with an AC system (noisy).
In conclusion, this is a relatively cheap hotel for people who are not expecting any luxury. I would classify it as a old youth hostel. The hotel is quite well located though, only 2 blocks away from the metro station.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank Seb3343

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Reviewed June 12, 2006

After reserving a room for one night online 2 weeks prior to arrival.... we were excited to go. when we arrived front desk was rude, asked us for ID and then denied us our reserved room because we were from new york... how can someone be denied if it was pre-reserved? they said they didn't serve in state people.... I never read such a thing on their site... they claimed that they didn't take our money that was charged.... but when in fact we called our agent and found they did take our money... protocal was taken and money was returned.... trust me... just save yourself all the hassel... the cheap rates of this hotel is not worth the rudeness and dump of a stay in the city. The comfort Inn up the block was so much better.

• Stayed March 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Zeewolde, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 30, 2006

I really don't understand why there are people that have the nerve to rate this hotel/hostel as excellent! They must be friends with the owner.

Also it's nonsense to remind people that they shoul'dn't expect much because it's a hostel. True, you can't expect luxury for this price, but even a hostel has to be clean! The only thing that looked clean here were the marble steps leading to the entrance. The stairs inside were made of the same marble, but only unrecognizable due to all the dirt. The room was completely bare, and stank, even the matrass stank. There wasn't even a hook to hang your towel on, well I did find a nail protruding from the wall which I used..., or a waste basket. The room itself did look like a waste basket though. The carpet was filthy, and there simply were piles of dust on the heating, which of course didn't work even though it was freezing cold in the room. Also you have the chance to get up really early... to really make something of your day... because the blinds don't close completely, which also robbed us from any privacy. Then again even if they would have shut completely, they still would have let all the light through.

Thank god we only had to stay here for one night, since our hotel was overbooked. We booked the Apollo Inn, in Harlem, which obviously belongs to the same owner, only this hotel is clearly in an 'after renovation state', instead of the Mount Royal Pain in the Ass where they are just starting. I hope...Even though the neighbourhood is less friendly, this hotel was a relief.

You either have to close completely if you're renovating, or stay open but still take good care of your guests, otherwise you're just out to take people for their money for which they get nothing in return. If I pay for something, no matter how much or little, I expect at least to be treated like a human being, and this was simply degrading and insulting.
Please do not forget to look at my pictures to verify if I'm telling the truth....

• Stayed May 2006
10 Thank animalpalace3
Reviewed May 28, 2006

me and my partner spent 10 days over xmas and new year in new york. As it was our first time we wanted something basic as we would be out all day. We found the mount royal to be perfect for what we needed. We had a clean room, clean comfy bed with clean sheets, hot water and fantastic location! .....cant complain at all!!

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rugeley England
Reviewed April 29, 2006

Unfortunatly i stayed here for one week - one week to long!! The room was small and dirty, the door did not lock properly and the cooking smells that came through my door from the people who actualy 'LIVE' in this hotel were disgusting. This hotel used to be an apartment block - SRO'S, and some of the tenants still live here. The bed was not clean, I had a few bug bites and the front desk did not seem to care.The bathrooms were not the cleanest - take your own loo roll...I would rather stay on Rikers Island Prison than here!!!

• Stayed April 2006
9 Thank NewJerseyTraveler
Copenhagen, Denmatk
Reviewed April 24, 2006

This was my second time in New York with my girlfriend. We found the hotel easily, and the location is quite nice, only two blocks away from the metro. It is also close to a Starbucks, McDonalds, subway (sandwichbar), Dunkin Donuts and Duane Reade.

Our (first) room (no. 624) was very small, and placed right next to the bathrooms. The room was not that clean, and there were hair on the sheets.

We had to ask three days in a row, before the sheets were changed. We also asked for the towels to be changed, but it was on the third day we were told that we would have to have our towels replaced at the reception.

The bathrooms were cleaned at least two times everyday. The problem was that not all guest would respect that they were shared - we often find urine on the toilet-seat.

Some of the rooms were occupied by permanent residents, with whole familys inside. These people were quite noisy, and let their kids play around outside the rooms even quite late in the evening.

One night we woke up because of strange noises from the walls. Turning on the light revealed that there had been some kind of damage to a waterpipe, and there was water coming out from the walls. My duffle-bag had quite a lot of water on it, but fortunately I had it closed.

The next morning we asked for a new room , and was told to come back a 9 in the morning. We got a new room on the first floor (no 114), which was much nicer than our first room. The second room had a desk, and much more space.

The people in the reception was kind and polite.

Even though this place is inexpensive, I think it is too expensive compared to what you get. If you can afford it, spend $20-30 more a night and get something much better.

• Stayed April 2006