“loved it!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Mount Royal Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #436 of 469 Hotels in New York City
luton
Reviewed May 28, 2006

me and my partner spent 10 days over xmas and new year in new york. As it was our first time we wanted something basic as we would be out all day. We found the mount royal to be perfect for what we needed. We had a clean room, clean comfy bed with clean sheets, hot water and fantastic location! .....cant complain at all!!

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed April 29, 2006

Unfortunatly i stayed here for one week - one week to long!! The room was small and dirty, the door did not lock properly and the cooking smells that came through my door from the people who actualy 'LIVE' in this hotel were disgusting. This hotel used to be an apartment block - SRO'S, and some of the tenants still live here. The bed was not clean, I had a few bug bites and the front desk did not seem to care.The bathrooms were not the cleanest - take your own loo roll...I would rather stay on Rikers Island Prison than here!!!

9  Thank NewJerseyTraveler
Reviewed April 24, 2006

This was my second time in New York with my girlfriend. We found the hotel easily, and the location is quite nice, only two blocks away from the metro. It is also close to a Starbucks, McDonalds, subway (sandwichbar), Dunkin Donuts and Duane Reade.

Our (first) room (no. 624) was very small, and placed right next to the bathrooms. The room was not that clean, and there were hair on the sheets.

We had to ask three days in a row, before the sheets were changed. We also asked for the towels to be changed, but it was on the third day we were told that we would have to have our towels replaced at the reception.

The bathrooms were cleaned at least two times everyday. The problem was that not all guest would respect that they were shared - we often find urine on the toilet-seat.

Some of the rooms were occupied by permanent residents, with whole familys inside. These people were quite noisy, and let their kids play around outside the rooms even quite late in the evening.

One night we woke up because of strange noises from the walls. Turning on the light revealed that there had been some kind of damage to a waterpipe, and there was water coming out from the walls. My duffle-bag had quite a lot of water on it, but fortunately I had it closed.

The next morning we asked for a new room , and was told to come back a 9 in the morning. We got a new room on the first floor (no 114), which was much nicer than our first room. The second room had a desk, and much more space.

The people in the reception was kind and polite.

Even though this place is inexpensive, I think it is too expensive compared to what you get. If you can afford it, spend $20-30 more a night and get something much better.

6  Thank Boesgaard
Reviewed April 19, 2006

this was my 3rd time at this hotel/hostel. I read all teh reviews, but booked anyway, because of my previous 2 experiences at this place. My first wasnt the best, but i learned from it. Mount royal is a HOTEL AND HOSTEL. do your research if you dont know what a hostel is. If you expect to spend all your vacation in a room then book elsewhere, but i fyou need a clean and comfortable place to sleep/shower/etc, then book Mount royal. They have rooms with private bathroms, and much cheaper rooms with shared bathrooms. You get what you pay for. No full service here, but the place is clean, neighborhood is very safe, beautiful park and river, and subway ar a block away. they also arrange transportation for you, which is very inexpensive ( shuttle). If you want your own bath - book a private room, if you want a place to sleep - book a shared room. No matter which way you look at it - it IS A BARGAIN for NYC.

1  Thank travel4aliving
quebec
Reviewed April 16, 2006

I've never get ripped off like that ! I've book through internet a couple of days before but when we arrived, the hostel was overbooked. They proposed us one stinky room in a third building on construction, without any sheet, no paint on the wall, big holes on the floor... Just incredible and unacceptable ! Of course we paid to book and couldn't get the money back !

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Netherlands
Reviewed March 30, 2006

This place is really OK. Why do people expect the most when they choose for the cheapest option in town? It's a NYC bargain. The building is old but the location is perfect and safe, the staff is friendly, rooms are fine and the bathrooms are cleaned every day.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 29, 2006

Hi me and my mate stayed here for 5 nights (thank god it was only that) in february.
First impressions were not bad then we got to our room(a small cupboard and found out that they had given us a double bed even tho we stated when we booked that we needed two singles.
The people at reception were very helpful and chatty, they gave us a new room the next day which i was relieved about as the floor we were staying in smelt of pork or someone cooking noodles all the time!!!!!!
we got moved to the 7th floor and had our own bed even tho it was a bunk bed that made so much noise!!!
Everything is dull at the hotel, the walls are covered in a thick layer of paint and the decor is boring.
Now the bathrooms were a different matter, they were hardly cleaned and very bare. They are shared between four rooms and the families that live there (its also a hostel) let their kids use them without supervision.
I can say that i will never stay in a hotel like this again!!! its true that you get what you pay for however i did not pay to walk on dirty urine splashed floors with body hair scattered in places and shower in a rusted tub!!! (i dreaded using the bathrooms so i used to sneak down stairs and use the ground floor ones!!!)
On a plus side you are right next to broadway and not to far from central park. Plenty of food places around the area, my favourite was Arties 255 West.83 St. very nice food!
The subway is round the corner and only takes 5 mins to reach Times square.
I also noticed that in the upper west side there is alot of dog mess on the streets! what is up with that!
Excellent break apart from the accomadation and the freezing cold weather!!!
Roll on next year!!!