“Cheap and cheerful”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Mount Royal Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #434 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 28, 2007

Well this was my 1st budget hotel I have stayed and to be honest my cousin and myself were really suprised how clean, airy and confortable the place was....Seeing the previous reviews I was panicking and having second thought about it, but we decided to stick to it and to be honest it is definetly a place i will stay again for the price..Some of the staff were friendly and helpful especially sean at the fron desk and for the price we hav paid I can't complain....By the looks of it they hav refurbished the place, its in the perfect location the stion its 2 minutes walk and all the local shops and restraurant are at our door step..Anyone who is on a budget should defitetly stay at the mount royal.....

Stayed: November 2007
There are newer reviews for Mount Royal Hotel & Hostel

Reviewed September 8, 2007

A Week there, 1st time in NYC sdo knew no better, certainly learnt from the experience. Though we had no problems, except the lock on our door was faulty and reported to the staff on the 1st day, nothing done for the week we were there, i would not recommend this place for anyone expecting anything short of a place to sleep for the night.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled with family
1  Thank Tuggster
Reviewed June 28, 2007

This "hotel" was a worst place I have ever been to. Thank god we only booked 2 nights from our weeks holiday. Room was really filthy, unsafe in many ways, the bed was too small for 2 and linens were disgusting. Some really strange people hang in the hallways and in the night time somebody was trying to get in to our room. And the door..it was not very strong. There was also "lovely" smell in closet (we think it was urine).

I could not use the toilet (shared) because it was so dirty. I had to leave early in the morning to the restaurant nearby to have some breakfast and at the same time use the toilet.

The whole experience was horrible. I could not recommend this place to anyone..

Stayed: September 2006
3  Thank manksu
Reviewed April 6, 2007

Myself and 3 friends stayed here on our first trip to NYC last year. As students, we wanted something fairly cheap, and since we were only there for the weekend, did not need luxury. It was definitely not the nicest or fanciest place I have stayed but it worked for us.

Room: our room had two double beds and we had a shared washroom with the floor. The room was small but decent and had a working air conditioner/fan. I did bring my own sheets, however. Over the two days we spent there a large wet spot accumulated on our floor - we never did figure out what it was, simply covered it with a comforter. The washrooms were clean enough (minus the shower), however be prepared to wait in line unless you want to get up and ready really early (before 7:30).

Security: the biggest problem I had with this hotel was how unsafe I felt. Had not I been so exhausted from the trip each night I'm sure I would not have slept. The door was no thicker than an interior bedroom door in a house. It did not even actually latch, so unless it was locked it did not stay closed. The lock looked like it would pop right off with a good shoulder to the door from the outside. We returned both nights after midnight, and while staff were still on duty, we were not required to check in or show ID or anything. We were allowed to walk right in, no questions asked. We did find it a little loud, however we were right near the fire exit so all of the smokers tended to pass by our room. We were actually woken up one night by screaming outside our door. A little scary when there is no phone in the room to potentially call for help.

Location: as has been mentioned in other reviews, the location was beautiful. The streets were actually tree-lined, there is a large park area nearby and it is right near the subway station. A little tricky to find by car for anyone driving in (we spent about 2 hours driving around lost), because of all the one-way streets. Parking is not available on site and is about 30 dollars a day.

Overall, despite all the bad things about this hotel, it served our purpose. I would recommend it for only short stays where you do not plan to spend any time lounging in the hotel and will be too tired at the end of the day to notice its flaws.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2006

This is my 1st budget hotel experience and the worst of its kind in NYC! I thought ALL budget hotels in NY were like it and glad tried 2 others recently (Look for Belnord Hotel and Grant Hotel) so now I could really make a comparison. For the price, you get what you pay for!! BUT in the 2 other hotels that I mentioned, they're far better than Mount Royal for the same price!! With that given, compared to the 2 others, Mount Royal is soo old it looks like it's gonna fall apart any minute. The sheets are old, thin, rough and really something I would NOT consider beddings. Don't even use their towels. We brought in our own towels and beddings. It's hard to sleep when you're thinking of bugs or what could be crawling underneath that old beat up bed. The venyl flooring was dirty and old and peeling. The one we stayed at had no airconditioner, only a fan. The bathrooms are relatively new but not well maintained. There are no mirrors anywhere. Going through the halls, you'd get a glimpse of how old the building is. The elevator was a scary ride- would rather use the stairs...

Because I stayed at 2 other hotels for the same price recently, I had to give it a terrible rating-otherwise it's okay if you can't book anywhere else. You'd survive a day or two there once in your life and then you could say- never again!! (It's funny because Mount Royal is almost just fronting Grant Hotel- they're the same price range BUT Grant Hotel certainly has above average accommodation!)

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank freebird74
Reviewed August 26, 2006

It was my first trip to New York and me and my bf decided to book online. We researched prices, photos and location and decided that Mount Royal looked really nice and was a good price. How WRONG we were. The photos they show are not what you get. On the outside the "hotel" looks lovely but once you get to your room you realise you are in Hell. The sheets were filthy and we had no blankets or Doonas. I went downstairs to get us a blanket but the staff were so rude and un helpfull I couldnt believe it. They did give us 1 very thin blanket (It was winter) so I asked for 1 more but they wouldnt give it to us. Our "room" was right next to the DISGUSTING bathroom. The toilet overflowed daily and the shower would only work occasionally. We told the staff that the shower wasnt working and they said there wasnt anything they could do because they dont know how it works. We had to run to other levels to have a shower. This Hotel totally ruined our time in New York. Because going back to it made us anxious and we didnt have enough money to move to another Hotel so we had to stay our whole 14 days. DONT stay here ever!

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank fashion_hayley
A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed July 7, 2006

The Mont Royal Hotel is actually classifed by the City of New York as a SRO. It is supposed to provide housing for the poor. The owner, Fitos Neophytou, is being sued by the Dept of Housing for "illeaglly converting the SRO to a hotel and advertising it". His buildings are rife with housing code violations, many pertaining to lack of smoke alarms and inadequate fire escape routes. See the July 5 issue of "The Village Voice" where Mr Neophytou is featured as one of the 10 worst landlords in NYC. Please enjoy your stay in NYC and find a better place to rest your head.

• Stayed: July 2006