“Sedgwick Ave y'all ”

Harlem Hip-Hop Walking Tour
Ranked #43 of 627 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: There is nowhere else you can rub shoulders with and listen to real insider stories from hip hop heavyweights and living legends like Grandmaster Caz, Kurtis Blow, Raheim of the Furious Five and Reggie Reg. …and what other experience gives you access to the secret sites that have played a critical role in shaping the hip hop culture? So, roll out with us. Other tour companies only show you the typical tourist-y spots and blindly pass over the rich, vibrant landmarks that give NYC its character. Our hip-hop tours are the best way for art and music lovers to visit sites you probably would have never visited on your own and experience sights, sounds and stories you won’t forget. Kick it with our crew and you won’t be disappointed. We’re all about preserving the roots of hip hop culture and that means sharing it with the world – and with people like you. For over a decade, we have been the leader in providing authentic insight into New York City and its impact on musical innovation. New York City is the undisputed Birthplace of Hip Hop culture and our tour guides are the originators! Let us show you the city’s hidden gems through the hip-hop lens.
Perth, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Sedgwick Ave y'all ”
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

This tour was great, from the get-go our guide Grandmaster Caz was very entertaining, engaging and informative; if you're after a sedate tour just looking to the left and right this isn't the one for you, it was quite interactive and we even did some break dancing in Spanish Harlem which was a laugh!

I signed up for this tour of course because I love hip hop but also to see a bit of areas such as Harlem and the Bronx as if I went myself I wouldn't know where to start.
If you're looking at this page you're obviously thinking about doing this tour - do it, it is good fun and will show you some parts of town that you normally wouldn't get to with a man who is clearly a bit of a legend in these parts judging by the shout outs he was getting from randoms on the street. Enjoy!

1 Thank Jamesz684
HushHipHopTours, Director of Sales at Hush Hip Hop Tours, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Jamesz684,

Great review! You're quite right that this tour isn't for those seeking the mundane experience of peeking through bus windows. Glad you were able to see some of those areas that may be have gone unseen otherwise; hope to have you back next time you're in NYC!

• Greek first
Encino, CA.
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“I wanted to like this tour...”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I feel like this tour had a lot of dead time, especially on the ride back to the city after the tour had ended. Our guide put some hip hop music on and then we drove back. I would have liked some more history or narrating even on the ride back. Also this was a bus tour so a couple of sights that we saw were from inside of a bus and we weren't able to get off. For example, seeing the funeral home where services were held for Heath Ledger, Phillip Seymore Hoffman, and BIggie; we strolled by it never really stopping. For those who do not know about hip hop then you'd probably be lost on this tour. Our guide said a little blurb about the history of hip hop in the beginning but that was it. There also wasn't much mention about how hip hop has changed over the years and why it is the way that it is today. The tour was good for what it was but I wouldn't recommend it nor would I go back in the future.

Visited March 2014
HushHipHopTours, Director of Sales at Hush Hip Hop Tours, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
mindcontrol1,

We appreciate the feedback. The only way we can perfect our product is by learning what you guys would like to see and that was a very thoughtful response. It's a shame that you had a less than satisfactory experience and we welcome you to take part on a Walking Tour next time you're in NYC. I think this would be more of the experience you're looking for.
Stockholm
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

What a great day. Such a great tour. I can highly recommend this tour. I hade a magical day. So many new impressions and things both seen and learned.

Great! Truly, Truly great. Whatever you do - dont miss it!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Pillyol
Pillyol,

Glad to hear you had such a magical time! We love our Swedish support and welcome you back anytime you are in NYC!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Sweet madre de dios, what a tour!!”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Do you like hip hop?
Do you breath the art form?
Do you secretly wish that you weren't a pasty white couple from the north of England, but we're instead a super fly Bboy/ Bgirl break dance duo from the Bronx in the golden era of the 'wild style' movement?.....
OF COURSE YOU DO, SO GO ON A PRIVATE HUSH TOUR!!!
Grandmaster Caz is a legend in the world of the movement. A founding father who will take you on a whirlwind tour of the very crucible of hip hop. Harlem, the Bronx; all that good s**t people!! (Wait, I just cursed. I don't think the queen would be happy.... No, not little Kim. The actual queen!!!) it blew our tiny minds.
Quite simply, amazing!!!
So now to sign off, and In the words of the 'street kids'very vernacular; peace out G!!!............. And as you are now my oracle, please tell me that last sentence made me cool grandmaster?!!

Visited February 2014
2 Thank NDog1980
NDog1980,

Truly one of the best reviews we've ever gotten! The beauty of it all is that the Hush experience is wonderful whether you are from North England or the South Bronx! Can't wait to have you back next time you are in the states.
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“AMAZING!”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Went on the Hush tour on Saturday 25th January 2014. Grandmaster Caz took the tour, what an entertainer, what an MC but more importantly what a man!
Took us to all the important sites from Hip Hop history, and educated us too with humour and knowledge, plus we went for proper soul food, yum!
I will never forget this trip and recommend anyone and everyone, especially if you're interested in Hip Hop, to take this tour, you won't regret it.
Just one thing, why can't I give it 6 stars?

Visited January 2014
Greg R,

So thrilled to hear you had a great time on your tour with Grandmaster Caz! Also, we'll consider it a 6 star review if you say so!