“Great trip”

New York Hip-Hop Tour
Ranked #43 of 604 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: There is nowhere else you can rub shoulders with and listen to real insider stories from hip hop heavyweights and living legends like Grandmaster Caz, Kurtis Blow, Raheim of the Furious Five and Reggie Reg. …and what other experience gives you access to the secret sites that have played a critical role in shaping the hip hop culture? So, roll out with us. Other tour companies only show you the typical tourist-y spots and blindly pass over the rich, vibrant landmarks that give NYC its character. Our hip-hop tours are the best way for art and music lovers to visit sites you probably would have never visited on your own and experience sights, sounds and stories you won’t forget. Kick it with our crew and you won’t be disappointed. We’re all about preserving the roots of hip hop culture and that means sharing it with the world – and with people like you. For over a decade, we have been the leader in providing authentic insight into New York City and its impact on musical innovation. New York City is the undisputed Birthplace of Hip Hop culture and our tour guides are the originators! Let us show you the city’s hidden gems through the hip-hop lens.
Moscow, Russia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great trip”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Best ever hip hop trip! Thanks for Grandmaster Caz! He is so energetic, funny and great narrator! We even have a break dancing class on basketball court!

Visited April 2013

• Greek first
Louisville, Kentucky
“Hip Hop Hooray”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This was the most amazing tour I have ever had the privilege of going on. As a long-time hip hop lover, seeing the places where the music began was beyond words. Riding through the Bronx with the Furious Five on the stereo -- and Grandmaster Caz on the Mic right next to me was something I will never forget. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS TOUR. I can't wait to go again.

Visited July 2012
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Incredible experience!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Having been into Hip Hop for over 20 years and with 2 sons aged 14 and 18 who have grown up loving Hip Hop too my partner and I decided to get married in NYC and top on our list of things to do was taking a Hush Tour. We decided on the Birthplace tour and were entertained and amazed by Grandmaster Caz. We learned so much from one of Hip Hops most genuine pioneers! Spending 4 hours with Caz was entertaining and informative and the absolute highlight for me was being on the bus with him performing MC Delight. Our sons got to do some breakdancing and we were also taken to 1520 Sedgwick Avenue in the Bronx the actual "Birthplace of Hip Hop". Every minute of this tour was something very special and we are all desperate to get back to NYC to do another Hush Tour. Cannot recommend this highly enough Even my husband who is not into Hip Hop absolutely loved the tour!! Thanks for everything, we'll be back!

Visited August 2012
Brisbane, Australia
“A NYC must do!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Grandmaster Caz and JDL were charismatic and had a unique insight into the history of Hip Hop - because they were there! This tour would interest even the uninitiated in hip hop music, culture and dance. A great day out and I can't wait to go back to NYC to do another Hush Tour :)

Visited January 2013
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The original Harlem shake”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Took the tour on 30 March and it was a high point of our first trip to NYC. With Hush Tours we were provided with an excellent trip through hip hop history, given an overview of the key players in the early days, the venues like the now defunct Harlem World (I'm sure someone could make good money through redeveloping the building into some sort of hip hop museum / venue) and the development of breakdancing and DJing. Lunch at the Jacob Soul Food Restaurant was also excellent and I wholly recommend the candied yam.

We had an excellent guide in the larger than life Grandmaster Caz who is very funny, engaging and passionate about his subject. He is somewhat of a local celeb and everyone on the street seemed to know him. He even has his own sign on the Bronx walk of fame (like the Hollywood one, but tougher).

For anyone taking a trip to NYC with an interest in hip hop (or social history in general -Caz's stories about growing up in the area were really interesting) I'd recommend taking a trip out of Manhattan with Hush Tours. Certainly also opened my eyes to Harlem / the Bronx as places with a lot going for them.

Visited March 2013