“A highlight of our trip to New York!”
Review of The Enthusiastic Gourmet - CLOSED

The Enthusiastic Gourmet
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Susan was a ray of sunshine on the gloomy, drizzly Sunday morning my husband and I met up with her at Yonah Schimmel's knish store for the NY Nosh Tour. Her wonderful stories about the Lower East Side -- past and present -- held our interest, and she introduced us to exciting and comforting flavors like fresh-baked knishes, salmon pastrami, fresh halvah and matzo still warm from the oven. It was just the right amount of food. We arrived famished and left full but not stuffed.

Susan is knowledgeable, funny, articulate and well prepared. When I was having trouble getting oriented, she pulled out a map. The reservation process was easy, and our email correspondence about contact information and where to meet was professional. Her email included the MTA website, which made it easy for us to get there by subway.

In addition to the tour, she directed us to Orchard Street so we could buy luggage, and she gave us excellent advice about where to eat in the theater district (Thai restaurants on 9th Avenue). We look forward to experiencing the other Enthusiastic Gourmet tours on future trips.

Reviewed August 30, 2010

We loved this tour. Our guide, Susan, was indeed very enthusiastic about the food and for good reason. We "noshed" around the markets, delis, restaurants and food stalls around the Lower East Side, Chinatown, and Little Italy. all the while learning about the amazing history and development of these neighborhoods through the years.
The melting pot was melting in our mouth with the chocolate truffles at Roni-Sue's. Also on this tour, we sampled handmade chesses, muffins, dumplings, buns, gnochi, and sesame pancakes stuffed with duck. The emphasis here is on quality foods made with the freshest ingredients, made that very day or even right in front of you.
Don't miss the food at Vanessa's Dumpling, where for the grand price of $1.00 you can get a box of four freshly made dumplings. Or, splurge on a sesame pancake stuffed with your choice of ingredient for the sum of $2.00.
Love freshly made hand crafted cheeses made locally, or muffins made by hand and baked right in front of you? Then you will love wandering around the food stalls at the Essex Street Market.
We really enjoyed our tour, and our host, Susan. Thanks for a great day!

Reviewed August 8, 2010

Susan's food and walking tours are a real find. We love discovering new parts of New York, and Susan made the NY Nosh tour fun, informative, and entertaining for a family of seven, ranging in age from 10 to 50. This tour had lots of interesting food-enough that we did not eat lunch after-and it was unusual, enjoyable, and most of all REAL. I enjoyed that we were a small group, walked at our own pace with some breaks on a hot day, and Susan was very knowledgeable. She was even able to get the teenagers involved and informed. A great day. I would recommend for any group.

Reviewed August 27, 2009

I was very lucky to happen upon Susan's tour, not only was the cost much more reasonalbe than other more heavily advertised tours, but I liked that she limits to small groups so you really have a chance to ask questions. We laughed, I learned, and of course I ate, as we traversed the neighborhoods of the Lower East Side & ducking thundershowers during my Melting Pot Tour. Susan's knowledge & enthusiasm is infectious. I really liked that she knew the store owner's and we could converse with them while learning about the difference between Winter & Summer parmegiana, how to make buffalo mozzarella, watch a Rabbi inspect a Kosher bakery, etc. I would highly recommend this tour to those new to NYC or those who have been countless times before as I have.

Christy Gordon,
Charlotte, NC

2  Thank rioja44
See more reviews
Reviewed June 23, 2009

We did the "Melting Pot Tour" in June 2009 together with 4 other people. As we were a little earlier at the meeting point, the Essex Street Market, we went throuht the market booths on our own and did not find anything special about this place. The impression changed completely when Susan Rosenbaum, our guide, explained us the special stories behind the offered food and the owners there. At the lower Eastside we learned so much about the different specialties and ethnic groups. We went to places we never would have gone on our own and enjoyed it a lot. And it is soo much more interesting to taste the things you are learning about!!! The tour lasted 2.5 hours, I could have gone another hour but it was just the right duration. Susan has chosen exactly the right name for her tour, she is really enthusiastic about food and can share that with others. Next time in New York I will absolutely book another tour with Susan!