“A museum that captivates your every sense.”

Museum of Jewish Heritage
Book In Advance
More Info
$109.00*
and up
The Sightseeing Day Pass New York City
Ranked #130 of 1,092 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: The mission of the Museum is to educate people of all ages and backgrounds about the broad tapestry of Jewish life in the 20th and 21st centuries-before, during, and after the Holocaust. Multiple perspectives on modern Jewish history, life, and culture are presented in the Museum's unique Core Exhibition and award-winning special exhibitions. Acclaimed public programs, including discussions, films, plays, and concerts, highlight the richness of Jewish culture and ideas.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“A museum that captivates your every sense.”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I've been to a couple of museums in New York but this was one of a kind. I've always been interested in the history of Jews and this museum was the perfect place to go.

The museum is very well structured and organized, it is clean and beautifully decorated. It is located in Battery park, about a 10-15 minute walk from the 9/11 memorial (which I had just visited prior to coming to this one), in a quiet area by the harbor.

I thought I would only stay there for an hour max because we had other plans for the rest of the afternoon, but we ended up staying in the museum for 2.5 hours, almost reading every word and watching every video in the exhibition- something I would've done only if I was younger.

The pictures, multimedia (videos, audio), all the artifacts donated by Jewish families made the museum all the more interesting. Each floor was organized into exhibitions on different eras of the Jewry. And I have to say that the floor about the Holocaust impressed and moved me the most. The air conditioning was particularly strong on that floor, and I thought, maybe the museum wanted visitors to really feel what it was like for the Jews back then, to starve in the cold. If that was not intended, I found it pretty effective in helping us "feel the cold".

Having studied history as a student, I was particularly moved when some historical events that I used to learn from my textbooks (such as the Allies declaring war on Germany) were highlighted on some displays, because I felt like my history classes have never ended because there are so many episodes from the war that we may not have known. And it doesn't matter whether you are a Jew or non-Jew, it is essential that we learn about tragic chapters of history like these so we don't repeat history or let others do so.

P.S. I entered the museum using the New York Pass so admission was free (included) for me.

5 Thank Shmnh

Northampton, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Excellent museum”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This museum was recommended to me as a friend had heard good things about it, and it didn't disappoint. It was quiet when we went so we could take our time wandering around, and it has a cheap entry price. It was so interesting to read the timeline of events, watch the videos and hear people's accounts of the war. The first floor talks about the religion and exhibits the texts, clothing, photos and other items, while the second floor covers WW2, and the third floor ends on a lighter note covering the progression since the end of the war. It's very interesting and emotional, and even though I was initially looking forward to seeing the statue of liberty, the empire state building and the Brooklyn bridge, the museum was one of my favourite places I visited in New York.

2 Thank Sam R
Boulder, Colorado
213 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 324 helpful votes
“Great Museum”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have been to Jewish Museums all over the world and this one ranks in the top 3 (after
the DC Holocaust Museum & the Diaspora Museum in Tel Aviv). The exhibits are extremely well
done and the Museum found all kinds of interesting artifacts to display. The exhibits on the
Holocaust are very moving as they should be. We spent 2 hours, and could have done much
longer. Especially liked the multitude of video presentations. We did not do the store or cafe.
The only negative is getting to the Museum from the Bowling Green subway stop. All the signage pointing toward the museum goes by the Statue of Liberty boats, but then the way is blocked due to the Superstorm Sandy reconstruction. So, exit Bowling Green on the North side and you will save a good 20 minutes of wasted walking.

1 Thank Buzzy1
UK
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Horrible - If you have a soul, you need to visit”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I had already decided I was visiting, even before I realised it was on the NY pass. We were incredibly fortunate that as we started, a school trip with a tour started and one of the counsellors kindly let us join them. The guide was very good at asking and answering questions. My only criticism of the museum is that once you have got to the top, and you wanted to revisit an aspect, you could not reaccess areas. It might have been possible but all avenues seemed to return you to the bottom floor. The shop was a bit disorganised as well. The contents of the museum are very graphic and not for those who want a fun trip. There was one montage of all the people (over 100) who had died (not sure if it was a street or a village) and it covered an entire wall. You then try to imagine millions of these pictures and I found it impossible. Incredible to think that some people still dismiss the Holocaust as a myth or propoganda.

2 Thank M A
cork
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Excellent, well worth a visit”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We only visited this as it was on the NYC pass and we are so glad we did. It was quiet and we strolled around at our own pace taking our time to read all the information without the usual hustle and bustle of other New York attractions. The museum is well laid out and goes through the time line of Jewish history in great detail. We were really drawn in to the harrowing stories and stayed a lot longer than we had expected we would. I would highly recommend this museum to any one visiting NYC and it is located very close to the ferry for the statue of liberty so no excuses!!

1 Thank rubylass