“Spur of the moment”

Live with Kelly and Ryan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Morning talk show.
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

We had been planning our trip to NYC for awhile due my husband's business trip. I read abiut stand by tickets so i took a chance this morning and it paid off. You do need to be in line by 7 am to get a good #. It was such a fun experence. The only downfall of standby is if you are with others you may not get to sit together. Worth the early rising and wait!

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"inside the building"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My Mother and I took a chance to see if we could get in to see the show at the last minute through the standby line. We arrived at 6:45 a.m. and were the 15th and 16th people in the standby line. After about 45 minutes of just waiting in line and making small talk with the other ticket holders and standby hopefuls, an ABC employee came out and gave a single-page handout to the first 15 people in the standby line. Although, I was #16, the employee indicated I’d be able to go in with my Mom’s handout if there were enough seats available. We were cautioned that receipt of the handout does not guarantee that we will get in to see the show, but we had a “good chance” based on their historical attendance and the number of people in the ticket line. After receiving the handout, we were told to show back up at the studios at 8:30am and to get in line in order of our handout numbers. At that time, we would find out if there were enough no-shows for us to be granted admittance. There were a few people behind us in the standby line that decided to come back as well, even though they did not have a handout.

I’m so excited to say that we all got in to see the show, even those without a handout who lined up behind those who had received one. The show was so much fun and I highly recommend it. Once you are in the audience, Gelman warms us up by making us practice the different clapping, oohs and ahhs based on his hand signals. We had seats on the front row, at the end toward where the guests come out on the stage. That was a great location when the guest did come out, because we got to high five him and guarantee ourselves some camera time. However, for most of the show our views were partially blocked by the cameras and camera men.

Both Kelly and Michael are very personable and funny. They interact with the crowd and take photos/sign autographs during the commercial breaks; although, I must warn you that you have to be sitting either directly in front of them or directly to their right to get that type of interaction with them. The rest of us just watched in awe. Interestingly, when the show is live, their voices are not projected to the audience, so you have to be really quiet to hear what they are saying. Its almost as if they are talking at a normal conversation level and not projecting their voices to the audience, which we figured was for the t.v. audience's benefit.

If you have tickets, it would be worth getting there early (6:30am-6:45am) to get the prime seats right in front of their table. Also, another thing to keep in mind is that they do film certain segments on earlier days. So, don’t have your heart set on seeing a certain guest live that is scheduled to be on the show that day. That person may have been taped on an earlier day, in which case you watch their segment on the many screens inside the studio, just like you would at home. This happened to us as the Ryan Reynolds segment was taped the day before and there were many disappointed ladies in the audience when we found this out. Despite that, it was still a really great experience.

2  Thank AngeliqueCPA
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Should have list Kelly and Micheal.. Great time! I got some tickets on line and it more fun than I expected..

1  Thank man1et
Reviewed February 28, 2013

What an experience! From getting tickets to making the show on time and getting to see how this all comes together from behind the scenes. I just love these two, so it was something I have wanted to do. Sent the post card in requesting tickets about 6-8 weeks ahead and received a letter to call and confirm. Very simple. Arrived by plane at 7a and took a taxi - wwweeee! we made it in time from Laguardia. Saw Michael coming in from the car. Waited until 815 to get inside. Once in, it goes very quickly to start. They both were very entertaining during the commercials - taking pix with the audience. Be sure to take a camera - no flashes though. The studio is pretty small so you should be able to get good pix. Gelman was funny and informative letting us know when to clap and directing the staff. The tickets are free and this is something to see from Kelly and Michael, the guests on the show, and how a television show is taped. Good for all ages 10 and up. Not too long either. I had a great time.

5  Thank Beccalyn22