“Decent place to see a band”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Irving Plaza

Irving Plaza
Ranked #133 of 857 Nightlife in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Rock music club.
Tampa, Florida
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Decent place to see a band”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Pros: Intimate setting, good music, friendly crowds, easy to get to, even if you get there late you can still see the band (you just will be in the back)
Cons: Drinks are expensive (of course this is to be expected as any other concert venue), if you are short it may be difficult to see if you are in the back, bathrooms were a mess, a bit of a wait for drinks (again, the same at any similar type venue), standing room only so wear comfortable shoes (there were probably seats somewhere, I just didn't see them - maybe in VIP)

Would I go again? Yes, absolutely if there was a band I wanted to see. We went upstairs but it was very crowded, downstairs we had a bit more room as there is a hallway where the bands sell their merchandise, so if you get too claustrophobic like I did, I just hung out in the hallway door. Could still see the band but didn't have people right on top of me.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Cynthia S

New York City, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A little Beat Up”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Nice open space, but it is a bit beat up. Sound is great and the drinks are potent. Bartenders are friendly. Depending on how packed it is, it has a nice dance floor.The sound is great and there is a VIP area upstairs. The bouncers are pretty nice and the doors are open early. They have a little area to the right of the ticket booth when you walk in where they sell food, mostly snacks.

Visited December 2013
Ringwood, New Jersey
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“Nice venue, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I've always loved music and have been to many concerts. Irving Plaza seems like a nice enough venue that attracts niche performers with fan bases of modest sizes. I've personally only been to a handful of shows at Irving Plaza, mainly because most of my favorite musicians don't necessarily play there. However, as a petite woman (about 5'2"), I've never really been able to see much of anything at this venue and don't necessarily have the time to wait on line for hours and hours to make sure I get right up front. I understand that's what a standing-room venue is all about, I just wish the sight lines were a bit better than they are.

Visited April 2013
Canyon, Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Hillsong Church-Irving Plaza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

One of the coolest parts of our trip to NYC was attending Hillsong Church at Irving Plaza. They had 6 services, and we arrived for one of the afternoon times. Always a great sign for a church is the number of people attending. This church didn't disappoint-the line was wrapped around the building. There were 7 in our group (me, my wife, our three kids, mother-in-law and an 'adopted' college-aged daughter). We weren't even sure if we were at the right spot but after asking a few people in line we quickly found out this was the place to be. Get there early! The first time we tried it was totally packed, and we decided to come back for the next service. There was a convenient Panera Bread just around the corner for our short wait and Chipotle after church. WOW! What a awesome time of worship. We just really had an outstanding time, the volunteers were so very hospitable and friendly we would so come back. One of the volunteers, who was from Australia (I think), got a real kick out of my mother-in-law, whose name is Ramona. The theatre itself is home to weekend concerts, too. For this service it held a full band, a Welcome Home banner, an antique chandelier and disco ball. Great sound and vibe. The atmosphere of Irving and Hillsong Church include a diverse (every ethnic group-all ages and walks of life) and a young dynamic, a great place to be anytime. We will most certainly come back.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank CoryBruce
“I would definitely return to this venue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

I went to a two day event at Irving plaza and I wasn't sure what to expect, but I can't wait to return to this venue. I was able to upgrade my general admission floor ticket for balcony VIP for $25. With it came a drink coupon to the bar right behind you so it was very convenient. They offer food and coat check which is a nice bonus.

Visited June 2013