“Excellent chamber music concert for FREE!”
Review of Bargemusic

Bargemusic
More attraction details
Owner description: Classical music is hosted on a barge in the East River (near the Brooklyn Bridge).
Seattle, WA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Excellent chamber music concert for FREE!”
Reviewed July 1, 2011

My 13 year old and I attended Bargemusic's free family concert, which is held on most Saturdays @3pm in the summer. It is about an hour long. Mark Peskanov played violin, and Doris Stevenson on piano. Super performance, and what a beautiful setting, on the water, with views of Manhattan. A/C too! Highly recommend the subway ride to Brooklyn for this hidden gem.

Visited June 2011
1 Thank yomadre

Washington
381 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 410 helpful votes
“What a gem for music lovers in an incredible setting.”
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We visited New York City at the end of August, when a lot of the venues were on break (e.g. Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, etc.). Found this on the web, and called for reservations. It does not cost anything nor require credit card, but advanced reservations will get you really good seats.

Bargemusic has many types of music performances. We went to the chamber music classical music performance. Young artists at their best here. The setting is absolutely beautiful, right on the water, with view to Manhattan and the Brookly Bridge. It is located next to the River Cafe.

Even though the day we went was sunny and hot, the barge was adquately air conditioned. With the gentle sway of the water, soothing classical music, and a fabulous view, you can put all the bustle and hustle of the city behind.

A++ experience.

1 Thank Brown_Samantha
Tampa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A must if you enjoy chamber music”
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Whenever I'm in New York, which unfortunately is usually only once a year, I make sure I get to at least one Bargemusic concert. Last August (2007) I had the good luck to attend an absolutely amazing all Mozart program. The barge is just the right size for the intimacy of a chamber concert, and the lights of the Brooklyn Bridge and of Manhattan across the river add a wonderful ambiance.

Olga has recently given over Thursdays to jazz., and I attended one that same week. The music was quite unusual but very good; however, it was very sparsely attended. Perhaps this will improve as more jazz aficianados find out about it. The place is always packed for the weekend chamber concerts and used to be packed on Thursdays as well. Olga insists that she means to continue, since "jazz is our only indigenous American musical form".

Go to the web site for program information, instructions on getting there, and photographs. I just looked at it myself,and I see that a Wednesday program has been added to the schedule - good news!

2 Thank HarriettTampa
Shaker Heights, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Loved Bargemusic”
Reviewed September 23, 2006

I live in Ohio but last spring when I was visiting my daughter
and her husband who live on Adams st. in Brooklyn, we walked to a bargemusic Beethoven string recital. It was a
blustery, cold day and we had to hold on to each other to
stay upright so not to be blown over by the fierce wind. But it was worth it. What a lovely experience! The view was stunning and the music, grand. There was a little movement ... just enough to let you know you were on the river. Cold and hot drinks were served at intermission and you could go outside if you liked. We chose to stay in. This was truly a different and wonderful music experience. I can't wait to go back again.

7 Thank isoldetristan

Been to Bargemusic? Share your experiences!