“Big Names, Rapid Fire”

and up
Private Greenwich Village Tour
Ranked #7 of 873 Nightlife in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Greenwich Village comedy club.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a club with 15 minute sets of 5 or so different comedians. They are all established and have made the circuit. Reservations are required, there is a two item minimum and they do serve bar food.

All reviews
in 21 reviews
"times square"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Good:
Entertainment was good quality and funny. This is a great section of town. Lots of charm, cool little shops, and you'll feel safe there.

The Bad: Well, there isn't much to the negative side. The place is very small, but that gives it a sense of intimacy. We were definitely crammed in and elbow to elbow with others. (It was a Saturday night).

Summary: If you are going to a comedy club, go to the Comedy Cellar. You will have a good time. Don’t forget to make reservations or you will be left out!

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

I've been to a fair number of comedy shows and this was by far the best one I have seen. Nice smaller club, cold drinks, cold AC and tons of laughs. Whitney Comings was amazing!

2  Thank CoryHK
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Feedback for memorial weekend comedy night on 26/05/2013 - I did provide this feedback directly to the club but as they did not respond I thought I would add it to Trip Advisor.

The good:
- The quality of the comedians was very good
- The house wine was nice

The bad:
- The experience was very much stack them high, sell them high, ship them in, ship them out – not great! I just felt like they wanted our money and wanted us in and out as quick as possible! I have never been in and out of a comedy club in such record time.
- Cramped uncomfortable seating arrangements
- Information on the website was incorrect and the cover charge subsequently went from $14 to $24 (not sure we got any more for our money) I consider this to be expensive when the acts are not famous (being on the Letterman show does not make you famous) – I realise we got an email about this ahead of our visit but as our itinerary for our visit was set we couldn’t change the day so our choice was go or cancel and we chose to go hoping we would be getting our monies worth (we didn't)
- The controlled fun – signs on the menus saying "You may not have more than 3 alcoholic drinks!!!" – as an adult I can dictate my own alcohol consumption thank you
- "You must purchase at least two items per person" - we probably would do any way but I think making it a rule on top of a $24 cover charge is cheeky

The ugly:
- The door policy and staff – we arrived from the UK that day and locked our passports in the safe of our hotel, being from the UK and not being used to being asked for ID it did not occur to us to carry it to attend a comedy club and it does not state anywhere on the booking information that without ID we would be refused entry – so one would assume this is not company policy
- When asked for ID only one of us had a driving licence on us confirming that at least one of us was 32 – the initial reaction was that we were not allowed in (despite explaining our situation and the person who didn’t have ID being clearly of age) the door man then started to proclaim how it was "THE LAW" in New York (it is not the law and I didn’t appreciate being condescended to in public) he then waivered and said we could come in but that we could not drink and wrote “no alcohol” on our tickets – to which we said we would rather not come in than pay 50 dollars and not be able to have a drink on the first night of our holiday. I argued the point that it was NOT the law and that if it was company policy it should be advertised as such and that the doorman should apply some common sense – which he eventually did. This did not start our holiday or our night off well – we went on to Cafe Wha? that evening (which was excellent) where we did not get asked for ID – we also went on to drink in a number of establishments throughout or 5 night break in NY and were not once asked for ID again – so much for the law!

I have been to a number of comedy clubs of varying size and infamy I can say without hesitation London do it better! I doubt I would return in a hurry!

1  Thank CarrieLeigh1102