“London does it better!”

and up
Private Greenwich Village Tour
Ranked #4 of 151 Fun & Games in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Greenwich Village comedy club.
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Feedback for memorial weekend comedy night on 26/05/2013 - I did provide this feedback directly to the club but as they did not respond I thought I would add it to Trip Advisor.

The good:
- The quality of the comedians was very good
- The house wine was nice

The bad:
- The experience was very much stack them high, sell them high, ship them in, ship them out – not great! I just felt like they wanted our money and wanted us in and out as quick as possible! I have never been in and out of a comedy club in such record time.
- Cramped uncomfortable seating arrangements
- Information on the website was incorrect and the cover charge subsequently went from $14 to $24 (not sure we got any more for our money) I consider this to be expensive when the acts are not famous (being on the Letterman show does not make you famous) – I realise we got an email about this ahead of our visit but as our itinerary for our visit was set we couldn’t change the day so our choice was go or cancel and we chose to go hoping we would be getting our monies worth (we didn't)
- The controlled fun – signs on the menus saying "You may not have more than 3 alcoholic drinks!!!" – as an adult I can dictate my own alcohol consumption thank you
- "You must purchase at least two items per person" - we probably would do any way but I think making it a rule on top of a $24 cover charge is cheeky

The ugly:
- The door policy and staff – we arrived from the UK that day and locked our passports in the safe of our hotel, being from the UK and not being used to being asked for ID it did not occur to us to carry it to attend a comedy club and it does not state anywhere on the booking information that without ID we would be refused entry – so one would assume this is not company policy
- When asked for ID only one of us had a driving licence on us confirming that at least one of us was 32 – the initial reaction was that we were not allowed in (despite explaining our situation and the person who didn’t have ID being clearly of age) the door man then started to proclaim how it was "THE LAW" in New York (it is not the law and I didn’t appreciate being condescended to in public) he then waivered and said we could come in but that we could not drink and wrote “no alcohol” on our tickets – to which we said we would rather not come in than pay 50 dollars and not be able to have a drink on the first night of our holiday. I argued the point that it was NOT the law and that if it was company policy it should be advertised as such and that the doorman should apply some common sense – which he eventually did. This did not start our holiday or our night off well – we went on to Cafe Wha? that evening (which was excellent) where we did not get asked for ID – we also went on to drink in a number of establishments throughout or 5 night break in NY and were not once asked for ID again – so much for the law!

I have been to a number of comedy clubs of varying size and infamy I can say without hesitation London do it better! I doubt I would return in a hurry!

1  Thank CarrieLeigh1102

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Dirty. Offensive. Laughed the whole time. If you make an online reservation it doesn't matter what time you get there as long as it's before show time. We went to the 12:15 show on a Friday night and didn't get out until 2:45.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We had such a blast on July 12th! What a top notch lineup and great value at $24 for five comics that knocked all the laughs right out of us. The host was funny and had awesome energy. Lucked out and saw Amy Schumer, she started off a bit nervous but as she went along she was just hilarious! Great night, thank you!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

If you like crude humour and bad language, this is the place for you. There were 5 comedians ranging in style and delivery, which was so great to experience. Its in Greenwich Village, which is a cute trendy area in a small basement with a great atmosphere. Minimum drinks allowed is 2, max is 3. Highlight of my trip!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We (a family of 4) went to this comedy show. The comedians were okay but we paid over $135 because of their $20 fee plus 2 min. purchases once inside. I understand that policy but the food was much cheaper than the watered down drinks. I paid $9 for a white russian and it had more water in it than anything. My husband paid $9 for a beer. VERY overpriced.

Aziz was there trying out some new jokes but honestly I thought he was subpar. The other comedians were better. We had great seats but it was very loud to the point that I couldn't wait for it to be over so I could hear again. Overall not impressed by the comedians there last pm and definitely not impressed with the cost