“Superstorm Sandy Surprise” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of 40 / 40 Club

40 / 40 Club
Ranked #91 of 859 Nightlife in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Sports bar owned by rap star Jay-Z.
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Superstorm Sandy Surprise”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I planned a surprise birthday weeked to NYC for my husband. I was all set to travel to NYC the weekend of November 2-4, 2012 with 11 of his friends- we were all traveling from states other than NY. In mid-Oct I prepaid for VIP bottle and food service (the Brooklyn Finest Package) in anticipation of partying at the 40/40 club on Saturday, Nov 3. Well, hurricane Sandy hit on Oct 29-30th and we learned we would be unable to travel. I called the venue on Oct 31st to notify them we would be unable to travel from GA, and I needed to cancel my reservation and get a refund. So far, a refund has not been granted. I've been told they can give me a club credit, but not a refund since they were still open on Saturday, Nov 3rd. I don't live in NYC and I don't have plans to travel to NYC to use a 40/40 club credit. It is unbeliveable to me that in the face of a natural disaster and state of an emergency that prevented us from traveling to NYC they are refusing to give me a refund. (LGA was half underwater!!) My husband and I are big fans of JayZ and Beyonce; I can't imagine them supporting such unreasonable practices.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank JHC1103

Washington D.C.
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Nice Lounge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

The Club was nice it had a lounge type atmosphere, the drinks were nice and strong and worth every penny. Although I liked everything that I purchased while there, I have to say that I enjoyed my appetizer more than my meal. The southern fried chicken tacos are TO DIE FOR! I've been thinking about those tacos since I walked out of the Club doors. I will definitely go back and I will also check out the one in Atlantic City. Did I mention that there were some really attractive men and women at this lounge, the 40/40 brings out the Best.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Cavegirl369
Orlando, Florida
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Good Ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have had this place on my radar for several years. This establishment is more of a high-end lounge. While there are no dining tables. There is stadium VIP area and places to lounge while hanging out with your friends. The food is tasty and the drinks mouthwatering.

Bring a fat wallet because the cheque will make you remind you -- how much of a good time you experience.

Visited July 2012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Evening with the Girls”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

While visiting NYC with a group of friends and we decided to enjoy the NYC nightlife by going to the 40/40 club. One of my friends insisted we visit the 40/40 Club so that she could "mark that off her bucket list". So, we agreed since the trip was really about her getting to experience NYC. We visited on a Friday night, arrived around midnight. When we arrived the crowd was still very scarce. As the night went on, the crowd grew slightly but it was never crowded. In my opinion, my type of establishment. The DJ played a good mix of music and the upstairs bartenders made pretty good drinks. The crowd was diverse in age and ethnicity, which is always good. If you are looking for a club with a large dance floor this is not the place for you. My friends and I had a good view of most of the club from our chosen spot on the 2nd floor, great for people watching. We could also dance a little comfortably in our area. The drink prices were as expected for NYC. That about sums it up. Would go back when looking for lounge type experience when in NYC.
Shout-out to the attractive security guy from the second floor.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank InfiniteDiva
Ottawa, Ontario
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“I still don't know if this is a club, restaurant or sportsbar?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

I went there with 7 girlfriends on a Friday night. Because we were arguing in front of the "club" as to whether we should go there or somewhere else, the management made us an offer: "Spend the evening here and we'll give you free VIP service (a booth) as well as a free tray of food". We decided that we had nothing to lose and went in.

The place looks NICE. Very well decorated and modern. After further inspection, I kind of wondered what what exactly this place is. There are Giant screen TVs everywhere that play all sorts of sports, but a DJ that plays club-music. We decided to make the best of it and danse our hearts away.

This is NOT the place to go for mingling - at least not when we were there. The set-up is strange and the crowd wasn't what I would call "pretty"

They demanded that we start a tab, eventhough most of us wanted to order our drinks at the bar, we were told that was not possible. They charged us a 20% surcharge for service (which was ok at the begining of the night but became a problem by the end). Getting the bill and our "security" credit card back was a nightmare.

Although the music was decent and the price fairly reasonnable (for NYC's standards), I would not go back. There are so many places in NYC that are better than this...

Visited April 2012