“good burger. poor fries. too much ice in the soda”
Review of Shake Shack

Shake Shack
Ranked #482 of 14,820 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Shake Shack is a modern day "roadside" burger stand serving the most delicious burgers, fries, hot dogs, frozen custard, beer, wine and more.
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Final lunch in NYC before we headed to the airport for our early evening flight home. I'm really not a fan of airline food and so wanted to grab some lunch before we got to the airport. Husband loves airline food and so wasn't too bothered about grabbing any food, he agreed as he knows that if I don't like the airline meal then I'll starve on the 9 hour flight!

I'd wanted to try Shake Shack since arriving in NY, and finally got the chance for lunch on our last day. We were passing by Grand Central on our way back to our hotel to pick up our luggage and so decided to grab a quick burger from Shake Shack.

We each had a Shack Burger, we shared a portion of fries, and we got a regular soda each - diet cokes. Bill was around $18.

I liked that they give you the buzzer machine thingy to go get your food when it's ready. We found a spot to sit and I decided to go wait at the counter for our food as it was so busy it would take me a few minutes to navigate through the crowds each way. It's a good job I did wait by the counter as my buzzer didn't go off but they called my number. Not sure how long our food would have sat there going cold had I not been there to hear my number.

The burger was excellent, I'd say cooked to medium which was delicious. The portion of fries was absolutely huge and easily fed the two of us, had I had a portion to myself I'd have probably let about 3/4 of them. Unfortunately the fries didn't taste all that great, a bit overcooked I'd say. The soda wasn't mixed correctly and tasted flat and funny, also the cup was filled to the brim with ice and so there was actually hardly any soda in the cup at all, I was actually still really thirsty afterwards as I'd only had a small amount of drink.

I'd go back on the strength of the burger alone. I'd probably just share fries with my husband again as I certainly wouldn't want a lot of them. And I'd ask for my soda without ice, or maybe get a beer instead. I'd also like to try their shakes too.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,617)

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I was thrilled when I found Shake Shack in Grand Central! I am always in NYC in February and it is too cold to go the the other location. My burger was great and I treated myself to a Concrete GCT Constellation. NICE!!!

Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Solo visit after rush hour and was still quite busy. seating could be tough during rush hour. Burgers are fresh, somewhat greasy, but are tasty. Not the best Ive had but certainly not the worst. Shakes are flavorful but very thin... Im a thick shake kinda guy... if it pours, it needs more ice cream. And they definitely needed more. Nonetheless, a decent place. Great people watching here.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Finally we got to eat at a Shake Shack! We have visited several times only to find the lines very, very, long. This location however, proved to be different. We not only got served quickly, but staff was friendly and we were even able to get seating. The burgers and fries proved to be delicious.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

When we learned of this location it worked perfectly for us and we were delighted to be able to find a table. The cheeseburger was excellent; juicy and flavorful. One thing that made it so good was the excellent bun. The fries were very good and the coffee shake was wonderful with an intense coffee flavor. Mmmmm. This is an outstanding place for a quick bite and we won't hesitate to return when we are in NYC.