“Great show and a little different!”

A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

I saw this play January 27,2014 Saturday matinee. I had invited my adult daughter and her British friend. He didn't seem keen on "Kinky Boots" or any other Broadway shows, so I thought a show with a British theme may do the trick.
I'm glad we did because the show was mega awesome!! The songs were so amusing and sung so well!! The special effects of the various " death scenes" were downright hilarious and AMAZING! All the actors and actresses were great and beautiful singers BUT if u need one extra reason to see this show, let it be for the absolutely incredible performance of the lead, Jefferson Mays. I never saw him before but I'll be a life-long fan now! His repertoire includes not only excellent singing but physical comedy as well. All in all a feel good laugh riot.!!!GO SEE IT. U won't be disappointed.

There are newer reviews for A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder

Reviewed February 6, 2014

If anyone else is old enough to remember the movie "Kind Hearts and Coronets" with Sir Alec Guinness playing all the members of a British aristocratic family about to be erased from the line of heirs apparent to the earldom, this is it as a musical. The entire cast is to be applauded. The music, lyrics, staging are all top notch. Not to be missed.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

clever story told well, nicely orchestrated tunes sung well, funny but not rude, a lot of fun, smallish cast, one actor even plays 4-5 characters, nice English bent to it

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I have been to countless plays at the theater, but A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder is pretty close to the top! The Walter Kerr Theater is intimate and the perfect venue. The dialog is witty and the songs hilariously clever. The acting is sublime. Jefferson Mays is pure genius as all 8 members of the D'Ysquith family. He changes his costumes quicker than a NY minute and gave such life to each character, up until their untimely deaths! Some of the humor grazed past the heads of the middle school group I was chaperoning, but was not lost on the adults. There are twists that keep the audience on the edge of their seats. I hope this goes on tour and comes to my hometown, or I might have to plan another trip to NYC just to see it again! Do NOT miss this show!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

awards---one for each role he played. I laughed until I exhausted myself. Totally enjoyed it. Costumes were whimsical and gave me chuckles as well. All in all I had a fun afternoon.