“I'd rather prison without parole than stay here again.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Dexter House Hostel
Reviewed February 20, 2009

My girlfriend and I booked Dexter House through STA Travel and although we weren't expecting luxury, as the price is reasonable for New York City, we were under the impression that it would at least be clean and safe. How wrong we were.
We were met in the reception area by the stench of stale food, something that appeared odd as there were no obvious signs of on-sight catering. We were hurridely checked in and after a long wait for the lift, we were bizzarely taken upstairs via the freight elevator.
We found the room, and although we had read disturbing reviews prior to our stay, nothing could have prepared us for the reality of Dexter House. We could barely get our luggage into the room such was the size of it, and when trying to lock the door behind us we found that the lock was hardly worth it and that our bags would be better suited to the role. We opened a disgustingly dirty wardrobe that we immediately closed again. Inspected the bathroom, which consisted simply of a grubby toilet and a shower that even a castaway wouldn't be happy to use, the sink was next to the bed which meant I could virtually sit on the bed, brush my teeth and answer the door, which some multi-taskers may see as a plus point. Finally the meaty issue of the bed, for starters the headboard appeared to be stuck to the wall by the copious amount of chewing gum that was attached to it. The sheets were stained badly and there was hair all over, we were so appalled that we slept on an unzipped sleeping bag and towles. As mentioned by other reviewers, we also felt that being murdered was a distinct possibiltiy and chose to further barricade ourselvels in the room using the bedside table that was conveniantly hiding a set of exposed live wires.
Given the above set of reasons we decided that one night at Dexter House was quite enough, and thanks to good work by the people at STA Travel we were transferred to West End Studios, a hostel that's only similarity to Dexter House is the price. When we came to check out early the receptionist didn't seem at all surprised at our decision, as I imagine she has dealt with similar issues aplenty. We also noticed a note at reception informing us of the Fire Department's decision to close the laundry facilities due to the number of complaints by previous guests.
I have since recieved an email explaining that, as STA Travel customers we were not given the correct room, which makes me wonder what guests the room is supposed to be for, I can only assume they aren't human ones.
Ultimately I would say, If you value your health do not stay at this pathetic excuse for a hostel, because it really doesn't deserve your custom.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Danny_88

Reviewed January 15, 2009

After 5 weeks travelling the U.S my friend and I booked 2 double rooms through STA Travel and booked Dexter House to be the location of the long awaited reunion for us and our boyfriends. Granted the price was reasonable so we were under no false illusions that it would resemble the Ritz but it definately wasn't somewhere i'd revisit. We experienced noisy heating system, noisy guests/neighbours, dirty room (in the 10 nights we were there the bed was not changed once, even after requesting it be done), Receptionist who clearly wished he was somewhere else - not very pleasant, even knocked on our door at 12:30am demanding to see our paperwork (we'd been there a week what was the urgency now?) , smelly room, dirty shower room. The location however was pretty convenient - nearby subway station, Irish Pub, & supermarket. If you've booked this hotel appreciate that it's cheap and you probably wouldn't wanna be here for anymore than two nights.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CJDNorfolk_England
Reviewed January 13, 2009

I booked a room with a share bath Dec 29, 2008--Jan 5, 2009 through STA. The STA person recommended me Dexter House. When I arrived there, it turns out to be a very dirty hotel. And it smells really bad, sort of like the mixture smell of pee and paint. Staff generally are very cold to customers. No Internet access in the room. TV doesn't have any clear channels. I do not think the water in the hotel is drinkable, because it smells as bad as the hotel. The heater in my room makes very loud noises that sounds like someone is using a hammer to knock on the iron heater hardly every 40 to 60 minutes. It's fine during the daytime, because I usually spend my daytime away from the hotel. But it's terrible during the night, because it woke me up at least 2 time per night! Plus the smell of the room. I could not sleep well at all.
My warning is--Do not go there!!! Besides, do check the hotel condition by yourselves before you accept the traveling package provided the travel agency such as STA. First, those travel agencies have never been the hotel that they recommend to their customers most likely. Second. since travel agencies are not responsible for your satisfaction about the hotel at all, they usually recommend whatever they can sell to you.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed October 19, 2008

Well, where to begin....There was a bed bug infestation and after 4 nights at this horrible place I have to say I am completely covered in their bites. The room was musty, damp, smokey. The carpet looked as though it had never been cleaned. The bed broke when my boyfriend sat on the corner! The only good thing was the sink in our room as the shared bathroom floor was broken like it had been ripped during an earthquake or something, so to avoid having to go there was a plus. We were sent here as our original booking had double booked us, but my advice is do not intentionally plan to stay here unless you have some good bug spray.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2008

OK, firstly I would like to say that I think that most of the negative reviews on this place are, in my opinion, quite un-justified.

I am a travel agent and booked this hostel as it offers the cheapest en-suite private room in Manhattan (as far as I could find anyway)
Bearing this in mind, please remember that you always get what you pay for! This was never going to be a great hotel, just an alright one. And it was alright, nothing more.

We found the reception staff to be friendly enough, and on entering our room, I was struck by how big it was. We had two double beds and a bunk bed in our room, along with a fridge, microwave and sink. The bathroom had a bath and shower in it.

Our room was not as clean as I would have liked; the floor was a bit dusty and we did spot a long black hair in one of the beds (we used the other one!), also the bathroom was a bit damp smelling and scruffy but not the worst I've seen!
I saw no evidence of cockroaches as other people have claimed to, nor were we disturbed by any noise from inside the hostel or outside - we were on the 13th flooor so high up enough to get away from the street noise.

Our towels were changed everyday and the bathroom was also cleaned daily whcih was fine with us.

Other reviewers have complained about the fact that the hotel also rents rooms out to permanent residents, which it does, but we had no problem with this and had a good chat with one resident who was perfectly lovely.

The main niggle I had was that there was only one very small lift that served the whole building so you sometimes had to wait a bit for it to get to you but it was hardly a major annoyance.

All-in-all though, I found that the hostel was fine for our needs. We spent most of our time out in the city, the hotel is two blocks from a subway station (buy a subway pass - 7 days unlimited travel for $25 which saves both money and achy legs!) and one block from a supermarket where you can stock up on provisions if you need to.

I think that if you just need a place to crash that is conveniently located then this place will be fine, just don't expect any more than that.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vixx83
Reviewed October 3, 2008

ok so first things first booked through expedia ( a private room for 4 ) roll up to dexter at 10pm shattered from a days walking carrying our bags. first thing we are told is that we would be split up as they dont have any mixed 4 bed rooms (not what we were told and the whole reson we booked was for that privacy) not only were we split up everyone was put in a different room and me being a man i wasnt to fussed i tour the world alot and rough it from time to time but i was travelling with my girlfirend and her 2 friends they were not so keen on being split up in a creepy place, had it been earlier we would have cancelled and found another place to stay. so we all went to our rooms i went into my dorm room to find noone there but a guys stuff spread all over the room. then used the toilet it was disgusting ( got out of there sharpish ), went to bed very shortly after that in the shoddiest bed iv ever seen imagine those rubbish folding camping beds stacked ontop of each other with a tiny mattress and a smelly bedsheet also the squeekiest bed in the world. oh and the windows were jammed open and it was FREEZING!!
eventually at 3am my so called roomate arrives turning all the lights on running taps and eating the smelliest curry in the world about a meter from my face, then the icing on my stays cake was the man gettin completely butt naked in the room. at that point i made myself sleep oh i also held my wallet n other valuebles in my hands all night!! in the morning we all met up downstairs and all seemed to have had a equally poor night. in all fairness the 2 staff we encountered knew that the hostel was pretty below par and appologised alot. but the message is DON'T STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank rockstockrob
Reviewed September 2, 2008

As opposed to many of the other reviews, my first impression was not bad and also the room/bathroom provided everything one could bargain for paying only $ 30 a night in NYC. The towels were even changed during the 4 days of my stay there.

However, the sheets and/or blankets obviously hadn't been changed for a while and I got a bit more than I had bargained for from them. Though they made a good impression at first, I now find my legs, arms and shoulder covered with uncomfortably itching flea bites. Unfortunately I did not have a chance yet to talk to the management about this matter, but at least I can warn fellow travellers. And maybe the management will read this and use the chance to improve their hygiene management.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo