“Visiting history”

The Russian Tea Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Russian Tea Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #867 of 14,214 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th Avenues
Transit: N, Q, R to 57th Street/7th Avenue F to 57th Street B, D, E to 7th Avenue/53rd Street 1, 2, A, B, C, D to Columbus Circle
Description: Opulent and grand, The Russian Tea Room in New York offers elegant fine dining in sophisticated surroundings. Superb continental cuisine with Russian fare is the key focus at the exquisite Russian Tea Room. The elegant interior features bold red leather banquettes and Art Deco design. Full of character, Russian Tea Room has been a cultural hub in New York for over 80 years, after the members of the Russian Imperial Ballet founded the restaurant in 1927. Full of delicious classics, the menu includes signature dishes like beef stroganoff, poached lobster salad or chicken kiev with caramelized wild rice. High Tea at The Russian Tea Room includes sandwiches and blinis along with cupcakes, seasonal scones and petits fours. A fine selection of loose leaf teas will complement the high tea, with the optional accompaniment of champagne. Close to New York's Carnegie Hall, the vibrant tradition of the Russian Tea Room legacy is still alive to this day.
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Wanted to get a feel for older New York. Little on expensive side, but worth it. Went for high tea with my honey, and enjoyed the service and ambience. Some famous faces there as well. Next to Carnegie Hall.

1  Thank Doron S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,327)

Reviewed May 9, 2013

If you are a foodie, you will enjoy this - very tasty food even if overpriced. A Russian ambiance and good wait staff make this a total package, but do get reservations for brunch early as it booked out a couple weeks before our visit on the date we wanted.

2  Thank birder5349
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Having researched prior to New York arrival, we had decided to ta a pre-theater dinner at the Russian Tea Room. On arrival only a few tables in the restaurant were occupied, and the staff were handling our party of 3 prompt and taking their time to explain the specialities of the menu. The restaurants interior shows, I imagine, how the tsar period of Russia was - with extravagant decorations - in the collors of deep red, green and a lot of gold - very impressive to Scandinavians with far more experience of minimalistic Nordic design. A very Nice and quiet dinner with the full attentiveness of the staff in impressive surroundings.

2  Thank Geir H
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I knew that the RTR was going to be just okay. But, the price of ice tea was a slap in the face: $8.
Furthermore, no one ever asked if I wanted a refill. Finally, I asked for a refill. I was billed an additional $8. I was not told that I would be charged an additional $8. When I asked the waiter, he gave me an inadequate answer. I could have demanded to see the manager but I just wanted to get out of there. By the way, the food was nothing great.

1  Thank tysoncl
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I love tea and being a Brit it was high on my list of things to do while in New York but oh dear ,what a dissapointment. I don't mind how much a meal costs when I am going somewhere special but $50 for what was given was robbery.
The service was however first class and our waiter was very helpul when we asked about the teas.Sandwiches were bite size and not many of them and we had opted for the Blinis with the American Caviar and the russian just didn't seem worth the extraThe .scones served were not only far too sweet but they crumbled into pieces when I tried to spread jam on them.A bottle of water was $8 which was a wee bit too much in my opinion.