“Poor afternoon tea and service”

The Russian Tea Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Russian Tea Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #795 of 13,937 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 6th and 7th Avenues
Transit: N, Q, R to 57th Street/7th Avenue F to 57th Street B, D, E to 7th Avenue/53rd Street 1, 2, A, B, C, D to Columbus Circle
Description: Opulent and grand, The Russian Tea Room in New York offers elegant fine dining in sophisticated surroundings. Superb continental cuisine with Russian fare is the key focus at the exquisite Russian Tea Room. The elegant interior features bold red leather banquettes and Art Deco design. Full of character, Russian Tea Room has been a cultural hub in New York for over 80 years, after the members of the Russian Imperial Ballet founded the restaurant in 1927. Full of delicious classics, the menu includes signature dishes like beef stroganoff, poached lobster salad or chicken kiev with caramelized wild rice. High Tea at The Russian Tea Room includes sandwiches and blinis along with cupcakes, seasonal scones and petits fours. A fine selection of loose leaf teas will complement the high tea, with the optional accompaniment of champagne. Close to New York's Carnegie Hall, the vibrant tradition of the Russian Tea Room legacy is still alive to this day.
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I booked this for my friends birthday, as it was her first time in New York. Love afternoon tea usually, but this was very overpriced and disappointing. The best part was the pink champagne! The cakes & scones were very dry, and the sandwiches were ok, but a little dry too, like they had been left out too long. We did point this out but the staff weren't unduly bothered. The guy who served us was ok, but as he went on his break, it was like there was no organisation to cover the flow of service, so we sat there for ages for the next part. The dry cakes arrived with no tea & the scones with marmalade left from breakfast? Again from the staff it was big effort to go & find suitable jam. Disappointing. Wouldn't recommend. It was achoice between this & the plaza - chose the wrong one this time!

1  Thank pinkskycat
There are newer reviews for The Russian Tea Room

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Please go somewhere in NY- anywhere would be so much better than this ridiculous "Russian Team Room" in term of food quality, service and $$$

I absolutely regret of wasting my previous meal time in NYC by eating here.
I ordered Caviar omelette and SERIOUSLY the size of the meal is not what is shown in the photo here. it was 10cm long (4inch) and "caviar." Caviar in their definition is Salmon roe eggs lol and one tiny scoop of potatoes. GUESS HOW MUCH THAT COST? 28 dollars.
28 dollars! you get a full steak with that money!

Oh and guess what? They somehow thought my boyfriend can't read English. So they charged another USD$30 on desserts when we declined to even see the dessert menu to same waitor that gave us the bill.

I can't possibly describe how upset I am with this place, and they should stop advertise it.

And whole day, my boyfriend had severe stomach aches from his "two eggs and bacon" which is the SIMPLEST form of breakfast and they manage to make my boyfriend sick for whole day trip in NY.

Tripadvisor should not even mention them here. at all.

All, please don't go and waste your previous time in NY. I didn't come all the way here so that I can spend USD$28 in 10cm (4inch) egg omelette.

2  Thank LoveLifewithXiong
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Firstly dont be fooled by the pictures online. The actual room used for normal eating does not match up to this. We booked this months in advance and due to the reviews and prices we were expecting something good. When we arrived we were greeted and shown to our table. Unfortunately we were essentially put on someone else's table (there was less than an inch from our table to theirs). This is a pet peeve of my wifes so we asked kindly to be moved to a booth. She was told booths were only for parties of 4 or more. This was crazy as there were 7 booths in our view with 2 people on! Eventually after pointing this out we were moved, much to the disgust of some of the staff member's. The food was ok, the wine was expensive and the service felt very rushed. We did feel like they wanted us in and out. Our starters were delivered in a matter of seconds from being ordered so were clearly pre-made. One good thing was the white chocolate cheesecake! This was the best cheesecake we had in NYC. If you do want to visit this place I would avoid the pre-theatre time slot and would make sure you specifically request a booth on your booking!

1  Thank CrashDel
Reviewed January 26, 2013

When you enter The Russian Tea Room you are bathed in a level of red elegance and gold that you hardly see... The food is savory Russian classic fare. I recommend breaking up the rich flavors -- which can be overpowering to some -- with Champagne of your choice. If on a budget, Prosecco would be another great option. If you are willing to splurge, spring for the caviar. It is pricey experience, but the atmosphere alone is memorable. One some evenings, I have had dinner at the bar lounge area and they still treat you like royalty. First class place that is conveniently next to Carnegie Hall and Central Park in the event you wanted to burn off the calories!! Bon apetito!!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I went on a Saturday morning, almost noon and had a late breakfast. Best french toast I have had in a long time, good service and great atmosphere.