“Crab cakes with a side of attitude”
Review of Silverleaf Tavern

Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Let me start by saying that I am a stickler for prompt, courteous service when I dine out. That said...
I so wanted to like this place because it's in a Kimpton Hotel which are celebrated for their excellent service. This was clearly an exception to that rule.
I came to Silverleaf Tavern with a dining partner for Happy Hour. After being seated, the waitress walked by our table no less than three times without giving us menus or even looking at us. Finally she deigned to find time for us. When she came over the first words out of her mouth to me were, "Are you upset?"
Hell yes, I'm upset. First that Happy Hour is ticking away and you're not even giving me a menu and second that you would have the audacity to ask such a question. I'd read that service was poor, but I had no idea...
I ordered crab cakes and was told that each order was two crab cakes. When the plate came with only one crab cake, the waitress said, "I was mistaken. They only come one to an order, but you can order another one." Oh, can I? Please?
How about, Lady, since you WORK here and YOU screwed up, you give me another one or even two (God forbid!) on the house.
Later on, I asked if she knew how late the Grand Central Market was open. She didn't know off the top of her head, but was happy to look it up on her smart phone. When she returned to the table with the answer, she added, "You should really get a better phone so you can access the Internet" or something to that effect. In other words, she made a snide remark about my phone. And by the way, how does she know that I even have a phone?
When I ask a question of a server in a restaurant, I am not interested in their opinion about my possessions or my lifestyle. I simply want an answer.
This waitress should be re-trained or better yet, fired. She made my dining experience a truly awful one. And once again, I was very disappointed that my dining partner left a tip. This restaurant falls far short of the Kimpton standard of excellence. My tip? There are no shortage of fun places to go in NYC for Happy Hour so go somewhere other than here.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

This great restaurant is a good find in Mnahattan. I was there for breakfast while staying at the adjacent hotel called 70 Park. The food was delicious, friendly staff and cool surroundings. A must try!

Reviewed May 15, 2012

The breakfast buffet is definitely not worth it. It was $19 for a mediocre buffet. But the $6 martinis at Happy Hour were great!

Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

I went their recently with work colleagues and had a nice time. The food was good. Pizza, fries, hummus, etc made for great food to share with others. Severs were quick and attentive. Overall, it was a really good experience and I would go back.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Order a breakfast buffet for 2 and they still tack on a 20% tip.