“Below Expectations”
Review of Smith & Wollensky

Smith & Wollensky
Reserve with OpenTable
Smith & Wollensky is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,064 of 14,664 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: E. 49th Street
Description: One of America's most successful restaurants, this New York steakhouse opened in 1977 and has been a hit ever since. It is one of the most trafficked restaurants in New York City and among the most celebrated steakhouses in the world. Specializing in fresh seafood and lobster and assorted steaks and chops, Smith & Wollensky is well recognized for its healthy portions, seasoned service staff and pop Americana ambience. The painted wood exterior is dark forest green trim on sparkling white, with latticework trim. The elegant interior has turn-of-the-century appeal and design elements including shining brass, dark wood accents and polished wood floors. Adjacent to Smith & Wollensky's is Wollensky's Grill. The Grill (entrance on 49th St) is open from 11:30AM till 2:00AM but does not accept reservations.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I dined here with my wife on 27 May 2018. The overall impression was of a restaurant that had seen better days.

My wife ordered the Fillet Mignon which was very good. I orderd the Prime Rib which was not so good. It was undercooked and bland.

Considering the prices that Smith & Wollensky charge, I cannot say that the food offers value for money.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,849)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

STAY AWAY. We had a table for 8, all locals. We took advantage of the holiday weekend and walked in without a reservation and had a great table. The food was fine, the service was good but NOT THE CHECK. We ordered a total of two glasses of wine which should have totaled $26 and instead were charged for two $55 bottles of wine for a total of $110! This was no accident, only top waiters work here, it was clearly intentional. All they did to correct the bill was to remove the two bottles and comp the two glasses of wine. A total disgrace. There are plenty of restaurants in NYC, go where they are honest.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I remember eating at Smith & Wollensky back in the day when I lived in NYC and worked on Wall Street. I was recently in town with my family for a special occasion and we were in the mood for a great steak house experience so we decided to go back and try S & W. I am not sure if our server was in training or what, but he was just so overwhelmed and he did not seem to care if we were happy or not. He was slow, even though we told him we only had an hour and a half, he got orders wrong and he had a terrible attitude. The manager finally had to send a new server to us as he realized this man could not handle us. Granted, one of our family members is very high maintenance. He eats out every day, and usually at very fine dining establishments. His philosophy is that if he's paying good money, he should get good food and good service. This lunch just fell flat on us all. The food was just so so, the service so disappointing that we felt like we were inconveniencing them by eating there. There are SOOOOO many good steak houses in NYC. We will not make the same mistake again. We have eaten at S & W's in a number of cities, and we did find out that this while this is the original restaurant, it is the only one that is not part of a restaurant chain. Don't judge the others by this review. I will say that this was the first bad experience I've had at S & W in NYC. I ate at the attached 'biz lunch' restaurant next door fairly recently and had a great experience.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Celebrated my 45th bday in NYC and my husband (who lived there for 6years) brought me to Smith & Wollensky’s for dinner. Wow! Fantastic! We ate in the grill which is more relaxed and upon hearing we were celebrating, gave us the corner table by the window. Great staff & service. Definitely get the creamed spinach to go along with steak and potato and save a little bit of room for the cheesecake! You won’t be disappointed!

Reviewed May 16, 2018

Always enjoy a fine steak at this NY Landmark. Dining should be part of your NY trip, as the waiters are long tenured and know how to treat their customers properly. Our group of 4 had a small wait for a table due to some miscommunication and the maitre'd bought a round of drinks at the bar while we waited 15 minutes for a table.

Special menu included soft-shell crabs, which were outstanding, served on top of a spicy slaw. The USDA Prime sirloin steak at 14oz was cooked to perfection at medium rare, the onion rings and asparagus made for great sides. Wine list was not overpriced and the entire experience was memorable. Great place to shake off the cold in winter and warm your belly with a great meal.