“Great seafood!”
Review of Smith & Wollensky

Smith & Wollensky
Reserve with OpenTable
Smith & Wollensky is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,026 of 14,522 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: E. 49th Street
Description: One of America's most successful restaurants, this New York steakhouse opened in 1977 and has been a hit ever since. It is one of the most trafficked restaurants in New York City and among the most celebrated steakhouses in the world. Specializing in fresh seafood and lobster and assorted steaks and chops, Smith & Wollensky is well recognized for its healthy portions, seasoned service staff and pop Americana ambience. The painted wood exterior is dark forest green trim on sparkling white, with latticework trim. The elegant interior has turn-of-the-century appeal and design elements including shining brass, dark wood accents and polished wood floors. Adjacent to Smith & Wollensky's is Wollensky's Grill. The Grill (entrance on 49th St) is open from 11:30AM till 2:00AM but does not accept reservations.
Reviewed April 14, 2014

My husband and I went to Smith & Wollensky for dinner and it was fabulous. Oddly enough, we ordered a seafood tower appetizer despite them being known for steaks. The seafood was excellent and the service was also great. We started with a cocktail at the bar while we waited for our reservation and once ready we went to our table. I do recall it being a bit tight to get to our table as if the tables were spaced too close. We both had steaks which were cooked perfectly. If you are looking for a great steak place and you have that one friend who only likes seafood, this is a good option.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,805)

Reviewed April 10, 2014

While visiting in New York City for the first time my girlfriend and I decided to give Smith & Wollensky a try. Being from Boston I have seen this restaurant before and decided this would be a great place for a nice dinner in the city. It was very easy to make a reservation and they were very accommodating for being able to get us a table same day on a Saturday night. Our waiter was excellent. We both got the filet which was a good size cut that was cooked perfectly. We got baked cauliflower and mashed potatoes which are big enough to share. Like any nice steakhouse it is pricey but the food and atmosphere is well worth it for a nice dinner out.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Ate here before my flight back home, making a reservation online is easy and simple.
I had the filet mignon which was cooked perfectly. I wasn't too keen on the baked potato side but the mushrooms were cooked to perfection.
Service was quick and the staff were polite and kept refilling my drinks.

Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

One of the known establishments which I have not visited for a while. Still serving good steaks in a traditional stake house environment

Reviewed April 5, 2014

As other reviewers have said, it's expensive, but who cares when the steak is so totally delicious. I had a rare filet mignon au poivre and a glass of wine - bill came to nearly $70. Will I go back - you bet.