“Great Music But I Won't Be Back”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Feinstein's at The Regency - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Feinstein's at The Regency
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Provincetown, MA
“Great Music But I Won't Be Back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

Let me start by saying that I am a singer, a restaurant owner, and a fan of Michael Feinstein's, so the idea of seeing a cabaret show with dinner while visiting NYC for the first time was very appealing. Also, I did not read any Trip Advisor reviews on this place before I went (bad traveler, bad traveler!). So, I booked show tickets online and was well aware of the $40 per person F&B charge before we went, but we bit the bullet. (Minimums are actually illegal were I'm from, so I really had to let this one go.) I also was disappointed with our seats after paying top dollar for the premium seating. Do not do this! We were crammed together with other couples, and the waiters were tripping over us and in a hurry to get everyone's drink and dinner orders placed, served and cleared by the time the show started. The martinis were $23, and the pasta bolognaise was tasteless. I loved the performance we saw - the music was great. But if I ever have another romantic weekend getaway in NYC, I'll go to another club I research better - someplace where I fee neither rushed nor like cattle being led to $23 martini's.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank PtownTMW

New York City, New York
“Treated Badly”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

On line tix were $50 plus service charge. Two tix $107. So worth it to hear Marilyn Maye. She is a gem. I wish she were at another club.
The show was at 8:30 and they like to you arrive at 6 for dinner. We chose not to. I am a native New Yorker and it was about my 20th time at Feinsteins. Every other time I arrive a 1/2 hour early and the waiter asks what two drinks I'll have. There is a $25 minimum or so it says on line. I had time to go to the ladies room and finish 1/2 my $20 martini before the show began. At the end of the show the waiter brought a check for $98. We each had one drink???? I questioned it and the waiter was rude . I went to Jessica the manager who would not listen and told me had I come at 6 I'd know the rules. Oh Please the room wasn't full when I got there and she wrote a scathing email saying I arrived at 8:15 which was not true. I don't know why it's allowed that customers are treated so rudely. But they will never have the chance to behave that way to me every again. I am spreading the word in as many places as I can!!!!!!
You can get better service at other clubs. Metropolitan Room, Jazz at LC...so many wonderful places to go when you're treated nicely.
Believe me it's not the $ ...It's being rude to Customers that is upsetting!!! Save yourselves.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank dreamofjeanie24
Indianapolis
“Nice night out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

OK, here's the deal: Everything is laughably overpriced (except, perhaps for the entertainment -- we're talking food and drink prices here). The food is very, very average. And it is totally worth it (or was the night we were there). It is a lovely space to enjoy entertainment, and the staff is very attentive and friendly. The room manager, in particular, was very nice. It's like you totally overlook paying too much for not so special food and drink just to enjoy the ambiance of the whole thing. And this is not necessarily a backhanded compliment -- it's a genuine compliment, because we thoroughly enjoyed the entire evening.

New York City
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“outstanding artist performances marred by inconsistent, inaccurate service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2010

Feinsteins hosts performances by outstanding artists. However, the relentless 'pressing' by the wait staff to reach/exceed the cover charge has a desperate quality, and significantly reduces the quality of the experience of attending a cabaret performance. So desperate, in fact, that checking your bill for items not purchased is strongly advised. Even more so given the grotesquely over-inflated baseline for menu items. That, as a customer, the morning after attending a performance should be spent disputing charges with the venue management - and not reflecting on the performance is, quite frankly, a disservice to the artists. Tickets are reasonably priced. The venue is intimate. The food and drink is adequate. However, attend with due caution.

1 Thank voicesnyc
Isle of Wight
“Swellegant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2009

We found out about David Hyde Pearce (Niles from Frasier) doing cabaret with Michael Feinstein at the very last minute and could not get through to the box office, so just turned up - the evening was a sell-out, but the Maitre'd offered to fit us in at the back, so we did not eat.

An unforgettable performance from Hyde Pearce (his first cabaret) and Feinstein made it one of the musical highlights of the year for us. Service was fast and friendly and although it was cramped we think that this added to the atmosphere. NYT review of the evening is here:

We'd recommend this for anyone looking for a traditional supper club experience - a truly swellegant evening.