“Lots of Fun!Great Food As Always!”
Review of China Grill - New York - CLOSED

China Grill - New York
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 53rd Street between 5th and 6th Avenue
Transit: E or V Train to 53rd Street& 5th Avenue B,E,D Trains to 7th Avenue N,R Train to 55th Street
Description: After nearly 30 years in their midtown location, China Grill is making its downtown premier for a limited run at Asia de Cuba on Lafayette Street. Heralded as a pioneer of fusion cuisine at its 1987 debut, China Grill’s Asian–Inspired World Cuisine led diners on an imaginative culinary journey inspired by Marco Polo’s travels along the Silk Road—fusing Asian and European flavors and techniques. Portions are generous, dramatically presented, and meant to be shared family style. Menu standouts include Lobster Pancakes, Crackling Calamari Salad, Spicy Salmon Crispy Rice & Lamb Spareribs. If you’ve never experienced China Grill before, we hope you'll join us during this limited run; and if you've been to China Grill before, we'd love to welcome you back to our new (temporary) home.
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Yes it is very noisy! Yes, the seats are very close together! ...But the food is nothing short of YUM! Family style sharing! Great portions! Over the top offerings! Definitely worth going to for any occasion! Close to Radio City Music Hall and MOMA!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I really enjoyed my dinner at the China Grill. The food was delicious. The atmosphere was very pleasant. Service started off slow but picked up when we pointed out that we had a show to catch. I would definitely recommend it and would most definitely return.

1  Thank aztraveler443
Reviewed April 7, 2013

China Grill is one of my favorite NYC restaurants and I try to take clients there a few times a year. The atmosphere is visually pleasing but not distracting - soaring high ceilings, large plate glass walls. The service is also attentive but not overbearing. But the food really is the reason to go. It's imaginative, unique and so very delicious. It's best to go with a group of 5+ so you can try many different flavors - the food is served family style. The small dumplings are perfectly seasoned and light - perfect appetizers. The BBQ ribs appetizers are out of this world. As a side dish try the fried spinach. don't be surprised when they serve individual crisp spinach leaves! I've never had a bad dish - the chicken salad has a light curry / mayo flavor that's amazing. Fish is always perfectly done. Even their steak is awesome & Asian in it's flabor.

I always look forward to bringing new people to the restaurant. I'm very surprised by a review here saying the food tasted salty and like soy sauce. I wonder if they've confused this resaurant with another...

1  Thank NYMetroMom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Really do not understand the excellent reviews of this restaurant. My friend and I had the pre-theater dinner for 2. Everything we ate was so overly salted or overly soy sauced. This to me does not make a good restaurant when they rely on this. Went there years ago and it was very good but now...If you want to spend that kind of money I would recommend you go to Tao or Buddakan. These are also Asian Fusion and so much better.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had the tasting menu and everything on it was terrific. This is a 5 course meal for $54 a person. The meal begins with an amuse bouche. For our visit it was a tuna tartare. This is not something that i normally eat but DH orders it often and said it was great. We then had a sample of three different salads. Loved the chicken salad and the calamari salad, the caesar was average. We then had 2 apps, a beef and ginger dumpling which my son called his favorite. DH an i enjoyed it, but loved the lobster pancake even better!. After a bit of lemon sorbet, we moved onto entrees of grilled shrimp and beef schezuan. Both were fabulous. The meal came with two sides. The wasabi mashed potatoes were not my favorite but DH liked them. The crispy spinach was very good and the vegetable fried rice was great. We added one side of lobster mashed potatoes which were wonderful. Finally, we received three deserts. A banana//carmel chocolate item that was heavenly, a very good chocolate cake and some ice cream. The entire meal was an experience and the service was incredible. I would go back anytime!