“You have to like this one”
Review of The Modern

The Modern
Reserve with OpenTable
The Modern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 14,910 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Avenues
Description: The Dining Room at The Modern is a Michelin-starred contemporary American restaurant at the Museum of Modern Art. Helmed by Executive Chef Abram Bissell, the restaurant features refined, playful dishes that highlight exceptional ingredients and seasonality in a $158 four-course prix fixe menu or a $208 eight-course tasting menu. Lunch offers a $118 three-course prix fixe menu or $158 six-course prix fixe menu. Complementing Chef Bissell's menus, Master Sommelier Michael Engelmann's extensive selection of wines showcases exceptional diversity and value in wines both classic and emerging regions. Our menu pricing is inclusive of all costs associated with food, beverage and hospitality. No tips are required nor expected. We accept reservations 28 days in advance. The restaurant also includes the vibrant and lively Bar Room (reservations encouraged), terrace for seasonal outdoor enjoyment, and bar & lounge area to welcome walk-ins.
Reviewed November 21, 2017

We had lunch in the area of the restaurant that is referred to as "The Bar" an it couldn't have been better. Everything from the warm rolls with creme fraiche butter, to the apple tartin with calvados anglaise was perfect. There are several vegetarian dishes offered here, which is rare to find in Michelin 2-starred restaurants. Loved it-if we lived nearby it would be a weekly affair for us.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,852)

Reviewed November 21, 2017 via mobile

We did the tasting at the Chef’s table yesterday and the experience was second to none. We were at the Chef’s Table at Brooklyn Fare Friday night and this was soooo much better. The food was fun, exciting and delicious! The chef de cuisine and absolutely everyone else were so fabulous. Thank you for such a great experience!

1  Thank Lori R
Reviewed November 18, 2017 via mobile

The Modern is next to the MoMa. A great bar with best Moscow Mule in town. The interior design is indeed modern and cool.
We had a separate room for our group of 21. 3 tables of 7. Very comfortable and relaxed room. Menu was superb. Entrée a great healthy salad. Main dish choice of fish or beef. Both were Michelin star quality. Nice Sancerre and Pinot Noir reasonably priced.
Even more impressive than the food was the service under the leadership of maître Dren. Best ever!

1  Thank Baba1956
Reviewed November 14, 2017

I took my wife to the Museum of Modern Art and then to its wonderful restaurant, the Modern, for her birthday. The restaurant is a Danny Meyer delight. I was obviously prepared for the large price tag involved, but let me tell you, it was worth it. Seated at a comfortable, spacious table overlooking the sculpture garden, we were greeted like a member of the family and it only got better after that. My four course meal was perfectly spaced and everything about it was delicious. The wine list is pricey, but I found a delicious Barolo for less than $100. I think everyone can put this on a bucket list if they have not already experienced this culinary delight.

2  Thank Jack E
Reviewed November 12, 2017 via mobile

The Bar at the Modern is deception in its description of the type of restaurant one would expect from its name. The bar is indeed near the tables but it's an incredible looking bar - all mirrors and contemporary chic and the seating area is bigger than in most restaurants. My appetizer of roasted avocado and crab salad was pure ambrosia. The duck entree was as tender as eating butter. My husband's lobster& pepper pasta was incomparable in a city where terrific food is a given.

The reason I didn't give the bar at the modern an excellent rating is the distinction in what makes a pretty restaurant with great food an almost excellent restaurant. Food and decor is important but good service is equally as important.

I made it very clear when I made our reservation that I had an intolerance to dairy and the hostess said she would note it on my reservation. The inference was that my server would be alert to my dairy problem however this was not the case. I patiently explained my dairy intolerance to my waiter and ordered the mushroom en croute and was told by the waiter that he would check to see if there was any dairy in the dish. He told me there was and recommended the smoked salmon . Fifteen minutes later he came to tell me that there was also dairy in the salmon dish-15 minutes!!!!! Since we had a play to see we were short on time so I was surprised at this delay in informing me about the fish. As we waited for my appetizer, I noticed everyone else getting bread. We had to ask about the bread which was unacceptable.

Although these complaints might seem minor they are the difference between a good and excellent rating.

1  Thank Georgica14