“Such a bummer! ”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Avenues
Description: The Modern is a 2 Michelin-starred contemporary American restaurant at the Museum of Modern Art. Helmed by Executive Chef Thomas Allan, the restaurant features refined, playful dishes that highlight exceptional ingredients and seasonality. Lunch offers a $138 three-course menu or $178 six-course menu. Dinner at The Modern is a 7-course menu, involving a few choices on your part, as well as some courses that the restaurant are excited to share with you, bringing a sense of surprise to your meal while also mediated by your own tastes. Dinner is $228 per person, with the option of wine pairings. The Modern accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The restaurant also includes the vibrant and lively Bar Room, terrace for seasonal outdoor enjoyment, and bar & lounge to welcome walk-ins. The Kitchen Table offers a custom multi course menu for up to four guests in the heart of the restaurant's world-class kitchen.
Reviewed September 3, 2016 via mobile

I'm a great fan of Danny Meyer's restaurants and was very much looking forward to lunch at The Modern with several friends. Unfortunately, while the food very nicely prepared the portions are far too spare. The service, which Danny Meyer is known for, was lacking. In short, it was entirely too expensive for what you get and a huge disappointment -- and on top of that we all left hungry!

Date of visit: February 2016
1  Thank Greyrockgal

Reviewed August 27, 2016

This Modern is one of the best restaurant we've been. The food was fresh & delicious. Staff was friendly, valued money. I will be back!

Date of visit: August 2016
2  Thank michellefrancis38
Reviewed August 24, 2016

When going to the Modern of course you already know that your going to fall in love with the space being connected to the Modern Museum and you are if you are in the main dining room. While waiting to be seated for dinner me and my girlfriend lounged at the bar and the atmosphere was busy and loud and seemed like you could not relax. Servers running about and people fussing over their tables. But once we were taken to our table the main dining room is beautiful, clean, and well contemporary modern. Although you can't really see the sculpture garden at night still a lovely view. The wine list is immense and covers all regions and is fair with price and choices you can be satisfied in almost every sense. Where I was disappointed in was the food. You expect a lot when you hear about The Modern all the time and it being a staple which it is. But for the price the food is lacking to me, not in portion but flavour. Nothing is exciting or bursting. I understand they are classics but seemed like dishes that I could find somewhere else. I didn't leave with a standout dish or one that i was in love with although every dish was well executed for what it was. The service is wonderful never a loss of that, and our glasses of water or wine where always full.

Date of visit: June 2016
6  Thank hadada151
Reviewed August 23, 2016

best food i ever had. recommended by a tourguide on The Tour... Rori. multi course delight. amazing service. worth every penny. my whole family loooooves food and no one had a single complaint. from the second we walked in.

Date of visit: August 2016
3  Thank runnyc129
Reviewed August 19, 2016

My wife and I visited The Modern while celebrating our wedding anniversary. The food was great, as there wasn't a single item of food that we disliked. The service was outstanding. In particular, I have to give a shout out to Perla, as she played a huge role in making our experience at The Modern fantastic!

During the meal, the standout items for both my wife and I included the Poached Egg in Salmon Broth, the Gnocchi with Black Truffle and Radish, the Seared Foie Gras with Pear and White Sesame Seed, and the Scallop Potage! There wasn't a bad bite in sight!

Each server that stopped by our table was friendly and greeted us with a smile. Perla stopped by our table periodically, engaged in small talk, and just kept ensuring that my wife and I had everything we needed. The staff was friendly throughout.

We thought the decor was very inviting, and lived up to the restaurant's name. We had a table right next to the large windows by the court yard.

I highly recommend a visit to The Modern. My wife's and I favorite restaurant still remains Per Se, but The Modern definitely left a great impression, and might just be next in line! We plan to return during our next visit to New York.

Date of visit: April 2016