“It is Simply Perfect”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Avenues
Description: The Modern is a 2 Michelin-starred contemporary American restaurant at the Museum of Modern Art. Helmed by Executive Chef Thomas Allan, the restaurant features refined, playful dishes that highlight exceptional ingredients and seasonality. Lunch offers a $138 three-course menu or $178 six-course menu. Dinner at The Modern is a 7-course menu, involving a few choices on your part, as well as some courses that the restaurant are excited to share with you, bringing a sense of surprise to your meal while also mediated by your own tastes. Dinner is $228 per person, with the option of wine pairings. The Modern accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The restaurant also includes the vibrant and lively Bar Room, terrace for seasonal outdoor enjoyment, and bar & lounge to welcome walk-ins. The Kitchen Table offers a custom multi course menu for up to four guests in the heart of the restaurant's world-class kitchen.
Reviewed July 27, 2016

Latest experience was simply a glass of wine in the sculpture garden. Great wine list too! The only sound was birds chirping - in midtown Manhattan! Now, gratuity is included and it is a thoughtful touch. The service is unobtrusive but attentive. Watching diners through the window reminded me it has been too long since I've had dinner at the Modern.

Date of visit: June 2016
1  Thank Judith S

Reviewed July 26, 2016 via mobile

As always great food at my favorite NY museum. The service and the staff makes this spot a favorite for lunch or dinner.
NM

Date of visit: March 2016
Reviewed July 24, 2016

The food and the decor are beautiful, the staff all attentive, the taste and flavors didn't stand out. I was quite surprised I didn't enjoy the food as much as I'd hoped. I loved the pacing of the meal, nothing was rushed, we were able to enjoy our food and chatting, they substituted the complimentary hors d'oeuvre due to a preference (neither of us like the trout roe offered) but nothing stood out and considering the hefty bill something should have and the menu tries hard to mix flavors, ideas, etc., e.g., asparagus sorbet, foie gras on everything - they're happy to remove it, but it doesn't work. The service and decor were 5 star, the food was more like 3 star taste but 5 star presentation. Portions were tiny and I didn't finish anything.

1  Thank mkeimkat
Reviewed July 23, 2016 via mobile

Lunch at the The Modern, at the posh end of three MOMA offerings, was the topper of a recent day trip to NYC. The menu was organized into Snacks, Appis, and Mains. Mains looked intriguing, but too much for lunch, so I ordered the tart flambée from the snack group and started to ask about several of the appis. The dignified and genuinely helpful waiter suggested that I would not need much more as the tart, although a "snack," was quite substantial. So I added a green salad which was the perfect pairing. The tart, an Alsatian style pizza with bacon, onion, and creme fraiche, had a wafer thin crust and was as light as it was delicious. The refreshing mixed greens salad had a few shaving of Parm, but could have had a few more and there was a small bit of grit noticeable. Sacrilege, but I ate it anyway. What's a bit of grit when the greens are so fresh. The tab was expectedly pricy, but as modern as the Modern, all gratuity was included in the menu pricing. I love that.

Reviewed July 20, 2016 via mobile

An exquisite restaurant located in the Moma, probably with the kindest and most efficient waiters we have met in NYC. The portions are small but you just need to take the time to savor them. I was particularly impressed by the sundae desert with two infusions that were placed on top of the dish. Pricy, this restaurant is indeed. Do not go there if you don't want to spend a bit. The bill will probably impress you, but gratuities are included.

1  Thank brunov788