“Bite not Worth the Buck”
Review of The Modern

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Avenues
Description: The Modern is a 2 Michelin-starred contemporary American restaurant at the Museum of Modern Art. Helmed by Executive Chef Thomas Allan, the restaurant features refined, playful dishes that highlight exceptional ingredients and seasonality. Lunch offers a $138 three-course menu or $178 six-course menu. Dinner at The Modern is a 7-course menu, involving a few choices on your part, as well as some courses that the restaurant are excited to share with you, bringing a sense of surprise to your meal while also mediated by your own tastes. Dinner is $228 per person, with the option of wine pairings. The Modern accepts reservations 28 days in advance. The restaurant also includes the vibrant and lively Bar Room, terrace for seasonal outdoor enjoyment, and bar & lounge to welcome walk-ins. The Kitchen Table offers a custom multi course menu for up to four guests in the heart of the restaurant's world-class kitchen.
Reviewed July 24, 2016

The food and the decor are beautiful, the staff all attentive, the taste and flavors didn't stand out. I was quite surprised I didn't enjoy the food as much as I'd hoped. I loved the pacing of the meal, nothing was rushed, we were able to enjoy our food and chatting, they substituted the complimentary hors d'oeuvre due to a preference (neither of us like the trout roe offered) but nothing stood out and considering the hefty bill something should have and the menu tries hard to mix flavors, ideas, etc., e.g., asparagus sorbet, foie gras on everything - they're happy to remove it, but it doesn't work. The service and decor were 5 star, the food was more like 3 star taste but 5 star presentation. Portions were tiny and I didn't finish anything.

1  Thank mkeimkat

Reviewed July 23, 2016 via mobile

Lunch at the The Modern, at the posh end of three MOMA offerings, was the topper of a recent day trip to NYC. The menu was organized into Snacks, Appis, and Mains. Mains looked intriguing, but too much for lunch, so I ordered the tart flambée from the snack group and started to ask about several of the appis. The dignified and genuinely helpful waiter suggested that I would not need much more as the tart, although a "snack," was quite substantial. So I added a green salad which was the perfect pairing. The tart, an Alsatian style pizza with bacon, onion, and creme fraiche, had a wafer thin crust and was as light as it was delicious. The refreshing mixed greens salad had a few shaving of Parm, but could have had a few more and there was a small bit of grit noticeable. Sacrilege, but I ate it anyway. What's a bit of grit when the greens are so fresh. The tab was expectedly pricy, but as modern as the Modern, all gratuity was included in the menu pricing. I love that.

Reviewed July 20, 2016 via mobile

An exquisite restaurant located in the Moma, probably with the kindest and most efficient waiters we have met in NYC. The portions are small but you just need to take the time to savor them. I was particularly impressed by the sundae desert with two infusions that were placed on top of the dish. Pricy, this restaurant is indeed. Do not go there if you don't want to spend a bit. The bill will probably impress you, but gratuities are included.

1  Thank brunov788
Reviewed July 19, 2016 via mobile

After my daughter finished sleep away camp, I booked a few extra days in the city as a pre birthday gift and celebrating her upcoming senior year. We got a late start and by the time we got to MoMA we were starving. We found The Modern by accident. I felt out of place being surrounded by all the dark colored suits. However, our server was so sweet. We ordered a soda as neither one of us are drinkers. Little bottles of soda were adorable. The crisp baguettes were hot and fresh and the butter perfectly shaped and creamy. My daughter ordered the chicken in brioche and asked for french fries. Other upscale restaurants would have looked at line she was crazy. Not here. And they were delicious. The portion was tremendous and we easily could have split the dish. I ordered the flambé torte with smoked bacon and onions. Delicious. My daughter was not fond of the tortes strong flavor so she passed. The food was very good, the service was exceptional. The only negative was the price and the fact it was a no tipping restaurant was nice, but because of the accommodating service I would have left a tip. All in all, I was happy my daughter gets this service on our special trip.

Reviewed July 18, 2016

We had a late lunch here this week. The service is friendly and impeccable, the food is excellent. The atmosphere is a bit sterile, but in keeping with the modern theme. Their menu got my white food syndrome granddaughter to try something more daring. We were a happy group.