“One of the best in NYC”
Review of The Modern

The Modern
Ranked #21 of 13,630 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Avenues
Description: The Dining Room at The Modern is a Michelin-starred contemporary American restaurant at the Museum of Modern Art. Helmed by Executive Chef Abram Bissell, the restaurant features refined, playful dishes that highlight exceptional ingredients and seasonality in a $158 four-course prix fixe menu or a $208 eight-course tasting menu. Lunch offers a $118 three-course prix fixe menu or $158 six-course prix fixe menu. Complementing Chef Bissell's menus, Master Sommelier Michael Engelmann's extensive selection of wines showcases exceptional diversity and value in wines both classic and emerging regions. Our menu pricing is inclusive of all costs associated with food, beverage and hospitality. No tips are required nor expected. We accept reservations 28 days in advance. The restaurant also includes the vibrant and lively Bar Room (reservations encouraged), terrace for seasonal outdoor enjoyment, and bar & lounge area to welcome walk-ins.
New York City, New York
“One of the best in NYC”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I am a card-carrying foodie and have hit many of the best spots in the city; this is definitely at, or near, the top of the list. The roast pork was sublime and the service matched the food. Unpretentious, careful, and friendly. I highly recommend going to Moma for an hour, having a great meal, and then doing a night-cap in the bar.

1 Thank defensiverealist

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Pennsburg, Pennsylvania
“One of the best dinners I've ever had!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

From start to finish this was one of the finest dinners I've ever had. The setting is nice. The dining room looks out into the courtyard of the MOMA. My only complaint about the atmosphere is the bar area is too close to the dining area and a lot of the sound carries over. The prix fixe menu has enough choices to make it hard ordering. It is a four course prix fixe. I started with praline foie gras, followed by rabbit truffle dumplings, chorizo encrusted cod, and ended with the warm fig tart. The serving staff is delightful, engaged, and knowledgable, but they don't overwhelm you. The presentation of each course is the best I've seen and the ingredients compliment each other so well. The wine menu is expansive, although there are only about 10 wines by the glass. I had a wonderful French Chardonnay. And in true French fashion, they just kept bringing out complimentary samples. They started us off with a tuna tartar in a celery puree. And the made in house chocolate cart was devine (try the lemon basil milk chocolate, unbelievable) I am not by any means a food snob, but I know good food and presentation when I see it. The Modern lived up to my expectation and exceeded it! I highly recommend dining here.

London, United Kingdom
“Scrumptious”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

While Visiting MoMA, I decided to take myself off to a lunch for one and wanted to treat myself.
I decided on The Modern. I was asked to wait in the bar area until a seat became available and was only required to wait for 10 minutes all up, in a very busy restaurant. I took my seat at the bar and ordered a lovely glass of French Riesling and asked for a recommendation from the waiter on the menu. He recommended a dish that did not disappoint. Every single morsel was delicious and savoured. The service was also excellent! Do yourself a favour and try this restaurant.

NY
“Best Restaurant in New York”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I went here two years ago in September 2011. I have to say this was the finest meal I have ever had in New York. It was tough to believe The Modern had only one Michelin star. Easily outshines La Bernardin and Eleven Madison Park. The amuses were very flavorful and felt part of the meal unlike in other establishments. For the first course we had an amazing dish of foie-gras in a honey glaze, crab rolls, and a mosaic of beef and foie-gras. Then came more foie-gras which was grilled and finally my favorite dish, squab and more foie-gras in a puff pastry. This dish truly shined as one of the greatest creations of the chef. Easily the best squab I have ever had. We had petit-fours from the giant dessert cart outside on the terrace overlooking the sculpture garden.

The service here felt very personal and most of the waiters were polite and most importantly smiling. Service was definitely attentive.

We came at 5:30 or 6:30, can't remember but we had an amazing view of the sculpture garden.

Overall, I would highly recommend The Modern for a fine evening in the summer where you can have amazingly prepared food with a great atmosphere. We felt welcome and personal and that paired with the chef's creations made The Modern shine.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank margaritka01
Oslo, Norway
“Perfect choice in Moma”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

It's has a Michelin star. Trendy atmosphere and good food in a nicely decorated place. Service was good and food delicious. Our best picks : lamb chops, poached egg (delicious), chocolate dome, apple strudel.