“One of the best dinners I've ever had!”
Review of The Modern

The Modern
Reserve with OpenTable
The Modern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 14,593 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Avenues
Description: The Dining Room at The Modern is a Michelin-starred contemporary American restaurant at the Museum of Modern Art. Helmed by Executive Chef Abram Bissell, the restaurant features refined, playful dishes that highlight exceptional ingredients and seasonality in a $158 four-course prix fixe menu or a $208 eight-course tasting menu. Lunch offers a $118 three-course prix fixe menu or $158 six-course prix fixe menu. Complementing Chef Bissell's menus, Master Sommelier Michael Engelmann's extensive selection of wines showcases exceptional diversity and value in wines both classic and emerging regions. Our menu pricing is inclusive of all costs associated with food, beverage and hospitality. No tips are required nor expected. We accept reservations 28 days in advance. The restaurant also includes the vibrant and lively Bar Room (reservations encouraged), terrace for seasonal outdoor enjoyment, and bar & lounge area to welcome walk-ins.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

From start to finish this was one of the finest dinners I've ever had. The setting is nice. The dining room looks out into the courtyard of the MOMA. My only complaint about the atmosphere is the bar area is too close to the dining area and a lot of the sound carries over. The prix fixe menu has enough choices to make it hard ordering. It is a four course prix fixe. I started with praline foie gras, followed by rabbit truffle dumplings, chorizo encrusted cod, and ended with the warm fig tart. The serving staff is delightful, engaged, and knowledgable, but they don't overwhelm you. The presentation of each course is the best I've seen and the ingredients compliment each other so well. The wine menu is expansive, although there are only about 10 wines by the glass. I had a wonderful French Chardonnay. And in true French fashion, they just kept bringing out complimentary samples. They started us off with a tuna tartar in a celery puree. And the made in house chocolate cart was devine (try the lemon basil milk chocolate, unbelievable) I am not by any means a food snob, but I know good food and presentation when I see it. The Modern lived up to my expectation and exceeded it! I highly recommend dining here.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,797)

Reviewed October 13, 2013

While Visiting MoMA, I decided to take myself off to a lunch for one and wanted to treat myself.
I decided on The Modern. I was asked to wait in the bar area until a seat became available and was only required to wait for 10 minutes all up, in a very busy restaurant. I took my seat at the bar and ordered a lovely glass of French Riesling and asked for a recommendation from the waiter on the menu. He recommended a dish that did not disappoint. Every single morsel was delicious and savoured. The service was also excellent! Do yourself a favour and try this restaurant.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I went here two years ago in September 2011. I have to say this was the finest meal I have ever had in New York. It was tough to believe The Modern had only one Michelin star. Easily outshines La Bernardin and Eleven Madison Park. The amuses were very flavorful and felt part of the meal unlike in other establishments. For the first course we had an amazing dish of foie-gras in a honey glaze, crab rolls, and a mosaic of beef and foie-gras. Then came more foie-gras which was grilled and finally my favorite dish, squab and more foie-gras in a puff pastry. This dish truly shined as one of the greatest creations of the chef. Easily the best squab I have ever had. We had petit-fours from the giant dessert cart outside on the terrace overlooking the sculpture garden.

The service here felt very personal and most of the waiters were polite and most importantly smiling. Service was definitely attentive.

We came at 5:30 or 6:30, can't remember but we had an amazing view of the sculpture garden.

Overall, I would highly recommend The Modern for a fine evening in the summer where you can have amazingly prepared food with a great atmosphere. We felt welcome and personal and that paired with the chef's creations made The Modern shine.

1  Thank margaritka01
Reviewed October 11, 2013

It's has a Michelin star. Trendy atmosphere and good food in a nicely decorated place. Service was good and food delicious. Our best picks : lamb chops, poached egg (delicious), chocolate dome, apple strudel.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Ate at The Modern before a show in NYC last week. I have to say it did not disappoint. The chef did an absolutely amazing job with all the dishes. The wait staff was FANTASTIC. They were attentive, but not overly bothersome. Kind, but not annoyingly nice or tip seeking. Our waitress even asked us if we had a show to attend and made sure to tailor our course schedule to meet our needs. Terrific service. Now to the food, because that's what everyone reads the reviews for.

For our main courses, I had the Thomas Lamb Chops - AAAAAAAAAAAAMAZING. My wife had the pork chops. Both were cooked superbly and we both licked the plates. You can't go wrong with the foie gras dishes. We're both suckers for it and it truly was magical. For dessert, I highly recommend the chocolate hazelnut crisp or the warm fig tart. For the price conscious out there, a dessert cart comes around after all is said and done. DO NOT be afraid of it. It is free. And delicious.

Thank you so much to the staff at The Modern. A great time and will definitely come back.