“Great food and service, but extremely noisy restaurant”
Review of The Modern

The Modern
Reserve with OpenTable
The Modern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 14,593 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Avenues
Description: The Dining Room at The Modern is a Michelin-starred contemporary American restaurant at the Museum of Modern Art. Helmed by Executive Chef Abram Bissell, the restaurant features refined, playful dishes that highlight exceptional ingredients and seasonality in a $158 four-course prix fixe menu or a $208 eight-course tasting menu. Lunch offers a $118 three-course prix fixe menu or $158 six-course prix fixe menu. Complementing Chef Bissell's menus, Master Sommelier Michael Engelmann's extensive selection of wines showcases exceptional diversity and value in wines both classic and emerging regions. Our menu pricing is inclusive of all costs associated with food, beverage and hospitality. No tips are required nor expected. We accept reservations 28 days in advance. The restaurant also includes the vibrant and lively Bar Room (reservations encouraged), terrace for seasonal outdoor enjoyment, and bar & lounge area to welcome walk-ins.
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I had dinner at the Café of 'The Modern' on Friday 26 April. The restaurant was extremely noisy, to the point that we almost walked out 10 minutes after we arrived. Thankfully we had an excellent waitress (Kathy, from the UK) who managed the situation very effectively. Her service was impeccable, courteous and prompt without being overbearing.

The food was excellent, with great flavours, and cooked to perfection. Kate advised us to have two dishes from the main course selection, and she was right. The bill was a bit on the high side, but overall it can be justified.

So, overall, I would strongly recommend this restaurant for those who are not bothered by noise. For those who want to have a quiet dining experience, look somewhere else.

1  Thank Alessandra M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,796)

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We loved this restaurant. The buzz, the food, the service and the the lovely bar area - all made it a brilliant place to have dinner. And good value for money compared to many other places nearby.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Excellent service, and be sure to go with the prix fixe with wine paring if available. You will not be disappointed. Great for special occasions, dates, bar scene and business.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I loved this place. My lunch, sitting at the bar: red endive and arugula salad, duck confit a l'orange, plus a craft beer (from Brooklyn!) The service was personable and effective, and the atmosphere was particularly New York. Of course, since you are in NYC, expect to pay for the pleasure. Lunch, with tip, was about sixty bucks.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was one of my favorite places in NYC. Another Danny Meyer creation. This is an ultra hip casual place to get amazing food and service.

The Modern Bar room serves smaller portions so generally people get 2-3 dishes each which is great so you can try many different things. My wife and I went here before Wicked. We let our waiter know and he made sure we were taking care of and had plenty of time to get the few blocks we needed to go.

We asked for some recommendations and our waiter RYAN was spot on. Just the night before we went to Gramercy Tavern (see my review) and by far we liked The Modern Bar Room better. Not to mention is was about half the cost.

Now to be fair, the Modern does have a dinning room which is a totally different experience so some may say this is more in tune with Gramercy. The Modern even has 2 separate kitchens with completely different menus and staff all housed in the same place. That still doesn't take away the fact that we loved the food at Modern and Gramercy was just Ok. To out it this way I will certainly go back to Modern. I will not return to Gramercy.

The only this about the Modern Bar Room I wish was different was the Chocolate Cart. This is just for the dinning room guest. I soooooo wanted to get my hands on that cart.

You have to go here. You will love it.