“The beer alone was worth the visit!”

Zum Schneider Restaurant & Biergarten
Ranked #3,300 of 13,639 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: German, Bar, European, American, Austrian, Central European
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: East Village
New York City, New York
“The beer alone was worth the visit!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Very good standard Bavarian dishes accompanied by the best of German DRAUGHT BEERS!
Imagine Schneiderweiss on tap!

A way out in ABC City but worth the trip is you are looking for good German food in Manhattan.
Lively and informal, reasonably priced, the sausages were vey authentic.

• Visited October 2013

• Polish first
Montreal, Canada
“Authentic bavarian food”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I am Bavarian and since we don't have a lot of Bavarian restaurants in Montreal (and feeling a bit homesick) I was really excited to try this place. And I was not disappointed. It felt like eating out on a Sunday at a local Bavarian restaurant with my parents. I ordered the Schweinebraten and it was delicious! The gravy was excellent and well seasoned. Also, the salad that came with it tasted like in a German restaurant. I even told the waitress that the food tasted like my Mum's pork roast that she used to make on Sundays when I was little. The beer selection is great too. We had the Andechser when we were there. Even though the food is a bit expensive it's worth every penny! I will definitely come back!

• Visited October 2013
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
“Great beer selection”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Great potato pancakes. Excellent beer selection. Delicious pretzel. I was I town for the marathon, so I had to carb up and the pancakes were perfect. My friends had some sausages and the all looked delicious.

Visited November 2013
New York City, New York
“Interesting atmosphere, great authentic food”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I ate here a couple months ago. I remeber the food was great. I have the Weisswurst which was delicious. The best part about this place are the pretzels. They are so fresh. I'm not a beer drinker, but appartently the beer is great too. The atmosphere is a bit strange when you first go in during the cooler months. The place almost looks closed without all the outside summer seating set up. There are fake trees througout, and the tables are all made out of randow pieces of wood, and none of the chairs/benches match.

This place is worth trying, and going back too. Just don't walk past it mid-day thinking its closed. They probably aren't.

• Visited March 2013
Newport Beach, California
“German beer & food”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This place feels a bit like a local neighborhood bar & restaurant, but German food & beer, & in Alphabet City instead of Germany. It's certainly not large or fancy. The food & beer selection is not huge & expansive. However, it has a comfortable, down to earth, relaxed atmosphere. Again, the food selection doesn't have a ton of variety, but it's tasty, hearty food. The beer is obviously heavily German & there's definitely some good options available. Price overall is not very cheap, but overall it is not a bad value considering the large filing portions & you are in expensive Manhattan. Service was excellent. The staff (including the non German ones) as well as many patrons spoke German when I went there.

• Visited April 2013