“Good chocolate at a high price”

The Chocolate Museum & Experience with Jacques Torres
Ranked #268 of 642 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We went to the location in Rockefeller Center. The sales associate was nice and attentive, we were the only ones in the small shop. We ordered both regular and wicked hot chocolate and prefered the wicked, it reminded me of the kind my grandmother made when we were young. The prices are quite high and the sizes of the chocolates were very small. We only tasted the hot chocolates, since the rest of our purchases were gifts, and they were good, but not anything I would make a special trip back for. If you are a chocoholic, you might not mind spending a lot of money on fine chocolate, but for me, a good quality Dove candy is good enough.

Reviewed March 13, 2012

When it comes to chocolate, I go totally non-dairy, since I am allergic. I just have a few options at Jacques Torres, but what I can eat is exquisite: the dark chocolate bars (the one with almonds is a favorite), chocolate covered almonds dusted with cocoa, dark chocolate covered graham crackers and dark chocolate bark filled with hazelnuts, almonds and peanuts. At Eastertime they have some chocolate bunnies that are non-dairy - gotta try one of those this year!

Jacques Torres is I must say very pricey, so it is an occasional stop for me (but let's be honest, all really good artisanal chocolate is expensive - for ex., see Teuscher in Rockefeller Center). But when I do go there, believe me, what I bring home is not around for long! His dark chocolate is smooth, creamy, absolutely delicious. At some point I will get bold enough to try his high cocoa content varieties (you know, the 75% and up stuff), although that is not my thing.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

Cheaper than some European brands but just as delicious!! Tried several flavors and was not disappointed. The shop located on the lower lever of Rockefeller Ctr was easy to find and had seating for Hot Chocolate lovers!

Reviewed February 25, 2012

Upon entering the store, you are immediately embraced by strong chocolate scent, all you can see is a wide selection of chocolate and obviously, all you can think of is chocolate. It was a truly delightful experience to enjoy their hot drinks, cookies and truffles! The store itself is a pleasant environment too. It isn't exactly cheap, but the chocolate is completely worth it!

Reviewed January 10, 2012

I learned about Jacque Torres' wicked hot chocolate from an episode of Best Thing I Ever Ate on Food Network. When I finally made my way to New York, I put that on my list of must-dos. It was a true disappointment. The "famous" hot chocolate was far from spicy. It was teeth-breakingly sweet with just the slightest hint of heat. It was also so, so sweet and rich that I was only able to finish one-third of it. I think a small is more than enough for 2 people.

The warm chocolate chip cookie was also a disappointment. It tasted like it was on the hot plate for FAR too long...a bit hard and overdone. Overall, for such an acclaimed place, I was not impressed.

1  Thank VancouverCDN_travlr