“A Broadway experience at 1/4 the price”

New Victory Theater
Ranked #376 of 1,115 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: The New Victory Theater is New York City’s first and only full-time performing arts theater for kids and their families and classmates. The New Victory Theater seeks out sophisticated, thought-provoking professional productions from both around the globe and close to home. Tickets to the public cost an average of $18, with seats available for as little as $14. Free locker storage and booster seats are available for all performances.
Reviewed February 22, 2013

You won't find the huge productions of the typical Broadway shows. What you will find is a kid friendly Broadway experience in a fabulous venue at prices starting at what it costs to see a movie. Shows run for 1-2 months so be sure to check the calendar. Their web site is very clear about the age range for each show and has never steered us wrong. I take my kids to about 4 shows a year, we have never been disappointed. Everything from the free lockers to the availability of sufficient bathrooms makes families feel at home.

1  Thank travelingNYfamily
There are newer reviews for New Victory Theater

Reviewed December 31, 2012

wow, what an amazing and fun time at the new victory theater! my young son and i saw 'circus oz' earlier this week (ie december 2012). the theater is small and every seat is great. we were on the 2nd floor, in the balcony and felt like we were on the stage. the theater had lots of details and comfortable seats. they had plenty of booster seats for the small kids, so they could see too.

we were there for a 2-hour show of circus oz. this cannot be adequately described. instead, just go! go to this show. its better than anything you'll see in nyc. there are about a dozen performers about 8 or 9 being acrobats and the other 2 or 3 are more like court jesters who really do a great job of rounding out the show. kids of all ages love this show. there are no animals in the show. there's probably about a dozen 'skits' that are performed. each one has some sort of acrobatic accomplishment, like balancing on three different rolling cylinders (i cant balance on a skate board much less three cylinders wobbling in three directions).

you just have to see this to believe it!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

One of the best shows I have ever seen. Definitely worth every penny and then some. It is the second time I see this show, I first saw it in Glasgow at the Fringe Festival, they finally came to New York, I wish they could be here longer. Maybe they will return next year. If I am able to go to this show again I certainly will. It is a combination of Colombian choco hip hop and the circus. Tons of fun.

1  Thank Escano777
Reviewed September 20, 2012

New Vic's shows are consistently of the highest quality. Balconcy tickets can be had for about the cost of a movie ticket (really!) and orchestra seats are rarely more than $35 or $40.

If you are in town with kids (or even if you're not), this is a great place to take them to see live theater. Check the age recommendations on their web site as some shows are for the very young, some are for young adults and some are great for everyone.

My wife and son and I have been going since our son was 3 or 4. He is now 11 and we all look forward to the shows. Some are full of action and others are thoughtful. One of the best shows we saw was a walking performance of Hansel and Gretel where an audience of 100 walked through various parts of the theater (it began in the green room and ended up on the stage) which were set as H&G's home, the forest and, ultimately, the witch's house.

Check it out and enjoy live theater with your kids.

1  Thank JackInBrooklyn
Reviewed April 3, 2012

New Victory offers some of the most innovative and intelligent theater for kids and teens. I have been taking my 12 & 15 year old kids for the past two years and we have so enjoyed every single show we have attended. New Vic gets our highest recommendation for theater goers of all ages. Their website is very helpful too because each show has a preview video clip that you can check out. Ticket prices are very reasonable especially when you consider that this is in the heart of the Theater District.

1  Thank renee g