“Nice walk on a warm day”
Review of Chelsea Piers

$74.34*
Spirit of New York City Buffet Lunch Cruise
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Nice walk on a warm day”
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Gives Manhattan a unique identity and gives new yorkers some great walking / relaxation options by the sea.

New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
“Great place for a beer on the Hudson”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Tucked around the back of Chelsea Piers, next to the golf driving range, is a great place to have a beer and kick back after a walk along the Hudson in NYC.

Zürich
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Climbing wall”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I've been to the chelsea piers climbing wall. A day pass costs $50, it allows you to not only access the climbing wall but all of the sports facilities - but I only used the climbing wall, and there only the auto-belay devices (since I was on my own there). It seems this is the only facility in NYC which offers auto-belay routes.

Even if you only use the auto-belay devices and don't intend to do lead or top-rope climbing with a partner, they insist on a belay test. I didn't pass first, since I didn't know how to use the type of grigri they use there and also didn't secure with both hands (we in Switzerland do this differently). Only after complaining and wanting my money back, the (very friendly) director gave me a second chance and I could do the test again, which I passed this time.

Why it should be necessary to do a full belay test with devices and knots you don't even use for the auto-belay device is beyond me. I suppose the reason has to do with insurance.

There is one climbing wall (apart from 2 boulder areas), around 20 metres long. The wall is quite different from what I was used to from European climbing halls. It is almost entirely overhanging (and by "overhanging" I mean not just a few degrees!). The routes seemed not very technical to me, instead you have to use brute force quite often (which I soon noticed in my forearms). Generally the routes seem quite hard to me, apart from one or two beginner routes (which are not accessibly for auto-belay climbers), all of them seem to be at least of difficulty 6a or more. Also, I think the grips are not cleaned very often. Most of them are very "white" of old chalk and thus feel slippery.

All in all, I think it is an interesting place for experienced climbers with strong forearms. If you're more like me, which currently is happy doing non-overhanging routes up to a 6a, you won't find many appropriate routes there. I just wonder how this facility gets their "new blood", imho they give them hardly a chance to develop their technique.

Prince George, VA
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great photo spot and enjoy a sail!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We enjoyed a sail ride, seeing the Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge and World Trade Center. Great way to view Manhattan!

Melbourne, Australia
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“A great place for kids!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Lots to see and do for everyone, night and bright and colorful. A Great mix of shops, restaurants and activities.

Visited September 2012