“Mellowness in the heart of NYC”

Rubin Museum of Art
Ranked #95 of 1,131 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: The Rubin Museum of Art is an arts oasis and cultural hub in New York City's vibrant Chelsea neighborhood that inspires visitors to make powerful connections between contemporary life and the art and ideas of the Himalayas, India, and neighboring regions. With a diverse array of thought-provoking exhibitions and programs-including films, concerts, and on-stage conversations-the Rubin provides immersive experiences that encourage personal discoveries and spark new ways of seeing the world. Emphasizing cross-cultural connections, the Rubin is a space to contemplate the big questions that extend across history and span human cultures.
Reviewed December 26, 2011

My prior knowledge of Tibetan art was minuscule, but I left this warm, pleasant space with a new found appreciation of Tibetan art and Buddhism.
Very informative and accessible and worth the entrance fee.

1  Thank UBBoy

Reviewed December 24, 2011

If you have an interest in Himalayan art and history, this is a must see. It's easy to navigate, the staff was helpful and it's not nearly as packed as MOMA or the Met on a Saturday afternoon.

1  Thank lyndey
Reviewed October 29, 2011

This was our second visit to the Rubin Museum so we obviously enjoy it. The museum specializes in the art of the Himalayans, which includes Nepal, Northern India, Bhuttan, Tibet and parts of Mongolia. Since the art of these areas is primarily focused on religious matters, the subject matter is pretty esoteric. If you're interested in this kind of material then you will find this stimulating; if you're not interested you might find it a bit much.
My wife and I have visited many of these places and have a basic knowledge of the various art forms and what they mean. Despite that we were exhausted after an hour and a half and went home. It's not that we didn't like it; we loved it. But the material is so complex (and there is so much of it) that after a while your brain just burns up and ceases to absorb. Or maybe we're just stupid. Anyway - be prepared. Go there rested and take frequent breaks
I am sounding too negative and I don't want to be. There are many beautiful Buddhist and Hindu statues and wall works on display here. It's a relatively new museum so the displays are fresh and engaging. Someone has put an awful lot of work into the interpretive signage as it is extremely thorough without stretching to too high an academic level. For example, you can learn the meanings of the various hand positions in a representation of the Buddha, as well as how to follow the narrative in a religious scroll. Then, if you want, you can pursue the differences between seven different schools of Buddhist thought. I'm afraid that's where I dropped by the wayside.
Whoops, there I go getting negative again. Sorry.
I noticed that since our last visit the Rubin Museum has turned much of its ground floor into a posh restaurant and music centre. It was certainly full of happy and noisy beautiful people when we went. Perhaps the secret is to spend a little time upstairs with the art, a little time downstairs with the booze, a little time upstairs...etc. And perhaps that's all right. The Himalayan peoples,despite their religious obsessions, certainly weren't opposed to having a good time. It all ties together, doesn't it? The circle of life.

1  Thank Marathonwinner
Reviewed July 30, 2011

The Rubin Museum of Art is a delightful surprise. Spectacular displays, knowledgeable staff, and a knock-out café. My family of 8 included 20-somethings, and guys in their 60s, to a nonagenarian. We went on Friday after 6 so the café had become the K2 Lounge, with tasty Pan-Asian tapas along with a martini and wine bar. Although my elderly parents found the sound noisy, I found the vibe energizing and would love to go back. My spouse recently went to Nepal and climbed to Everest Base Camp, and he really loved the Rubin. Great venue, and an incredibly vast collection! Check the website for promotions like: Bring a Friend for Free, and more.

1  Thank VelhoSorriso
Reviewed January 5, 2011

The Rubin is a beautiful museum fairly close to the west village in Manhattan. It's small museum with beautiful artwork from the Himalayan region. Take the audio tour to better understand this outstanding collection.

The museum has a fantastic cafe adjacent to it's well stocked gift shop. Make sure you check out the special programs they offer many different presentations from talks to music to film screenings.