“Front row balcony is very cramped and uncomfortable”

New Amsterdam Theater
and up
Disney on Broadway Behind-the-Scenes Walking Tour
Ranked #101 of 1,116 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: The lavish decor of the Walt Disney theater is the perfect setting for the popular play production of The Lion King.
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We went to see Mary Poppins in December 2012. We booked tickets months in advance and decided to sit front row of the balcony. This was a big mistake as the legroom was non-existent. It was really really cramped and you had absolutely no space at all to move your legs or feet. I am only 5 foot 7 so dread to think what it would be like for anyone taller. The actual view from these seats was brilliant. You are high up but if it were not for the legroom issue these would have been perfect seats. I have no idea what the legroom was like on the rest of the balcony but the front row really was terrible and the people sat next to us actually moved further back as they were so uncomfortable. We spent the entire intermission stood up in front of our seats just for a bit of relief!

As for the show, we just didn't really get it. As four adults we were disappointed and found it difficult to understand what the 2 children were saying. The only part that we all enjoyed was when Mary Poppins flew up high at the end.

On a positive note the theater was really beautifully decorated and the stage sets were done well. The ticket prices were also much more reasonable than some others. Despite this, I would not see this show again and if I ever returned to this theater I would not sit in the same location.

3  Thank Lozzy673
There are newer reviews for New Amsterdam Theater

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I booked Mary Poppins at the New Amsterdam Theater as my children's first New York City show. Since I wasn't sure how the kids would do, I didn't want to spend a lot. We had front row right balcony. These were great for them to be able to see. We did have to look down to see the stage but it was not at all uncomfortable. I would agree with other reviewers that leg room is very tight. Don't bring along a lot of packages and things, as you will be very uncomfortable. The show itself was wonderful! I had gotten the dvd ahead of time to watch at home and it was great to see one of my daughters singing along to the songs she had learned. The best part is that Mary flies up to the right and if you sit on the right side, she'll fly right by. This was certainly the highlight of our New York weekend and I would recommend it for any child over age 5 or 6 who can sit still for two and a half hours with a short intermission.

1  Thank JLZplus4
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Mary Poppins was spectacular. From the everchanging dollhouse sets to the singing, dancing, acting, it was one of the best shows I've seen. Lot to take in, but it is a show for all ages to enjoy. The enployees were great, friendly & the theatre beautiful.

1  Thank gettysart
Reviewed December 13, 2012

The show was great for the entire family. Actors and singing were spot on and my kids loved the characters and special effects. First time on Broadway for the family.

1  Thank Ken D
Reviewed December 11, 2012

What can i say it was our daughters 11th birthday and she hasn't been feeling well recently and we purchased tickets to go see Mary Poppins in NYC at the New Amsterdam Theater. When we arrived at will cal my wife explained our situation to the man at the window about our Daughter and her not doing so well and it being her Birthday and all. My wife inquired to see if there was anything that could be done to make her night more magical. Well let me tell you the gentleman that was working that night could not have done better in our wildest imagination. He got her front row WOW!! incredible human being and great customer service. That guy deserves a raise and a promotion. the only thing i regret is that we did not get his name.

1  Thank Charles T