“Disappointing”
Review of Bliss 49 NYC

Bliss 49 NYC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Bliss 49's two stress-free floors help bliss-craving 'spa-hoppers' unwind like never before. The first bliss to be launched in a W Hotel, bliss 49 offers superior 'spa-ing'.
Virginia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This spa doesn't come close to being one of my favorites. Because of their many locations, and the fact that I was in New York, I was thinking I'd be in for something very special. It was good but not great.

Pros: I was very happy with my massage. I had the 90,minute massage and loved it. The waiting room for the massage is very nice. Refreshments were a nice touch (olives, cucumber, cheese, brownies, water, tea). The shower room was clean.

Cons:
Did not care for my manicure. Chair was uncomfortable. The manicurist was always trying to sell products and services. I agreed to the parafin wax. I have had it before in salons, where you dip your hands in the wax container. At Bliss, they give you plastic bags (probably more sanitary) that you put your hands into. Mine was filled with clumps of wax. I don't know if it was supposed to feel like that or if the paraffin did not melt all the way. It did not feel good at all. The result was fine, so I'm not complaining about that; it just didn't feel soothing as expected. It was $40 extra dollars to put your hands in the plastic bags of wax for 5 minutes. Not worth it.

The only room that was relaxing was the waiting room for the massage. The room where you have your manicure has bright lights and the tv doesn't work. So you get to watch the same Bliss advertisement over and over again. annoying. Bliss should really try to make the mani/pedi experience more calming and relaxing. Instead, it felt like they just wanted to get you in and sell you as much as possible.

I won't return.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank iliketotravel123

Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Not so blissful”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I had never been to a Bliss spa before and had heard good things. I was taking a solo vacation and since I needed a full leg wax, I decided to get a Blissage 49 massage too.

I get leg waxes often and this is the first time I had one that didn't use the Muslin strips. The process was less painful as it only pulled up the hair and not that top layer of skin. My esthetician was friendly and informative but at the end of the procedure I pointed out to her on my legs where there were still a few stubborn hairs left and she gave me an excuse about how she couldn't get them all instead of her reaching for her tweezers and plucking them like every other place I had been.

The next service was a massage. A guy comes in the waiting room to get me and I'm super excited b/c guys are generally heavier handed than ladies. Well I get to the room and this guy's touch is so freaking gentle that I didn't even realize he had laid hands on me. I began thinking what is this guy's deal? He was kind of weird and "zen" type. I began thinking I should have just went to a Massage Envy type of place and saved some money. It wasn't even an "ok" massage it was definitely below average.

I left the spa and went around the corner to a nail salon on 47th and 3rd Ave and got a pedicure, manicure and 10 minute massage for $41!. The massage was much better than the one I paid for at Bliss 49 that cost me $120!!

I would not visit this spa again. I gave it 2 stars instead of one due to the fact I liked the wax they use.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank Erica A
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Unblissful Spa”
Reviewed July 9, 2011

I had to go back to my hotel room and re-read the the hot milk and almond pedicure description on the bliss website, because in all honesty, I did not experience any of it.

It was nowhere close to an hour treatment, more like 25 minutes. There was no intensive dry-buffing, no steam, and no sublime scrubbing. It was just a quick passthrough of the buffing, a 15-minute warm water with a little milk soak, and globs of a scrub cream roughly rubbed on for a few seconds and immediately rinsed off. I was beyond disappointed. My shellac manicure took the longest and even that wasn't much of an experience, but it did come out nice.

I paid a pretty penny for these two services only to walk away with a very UNblissful spa experience; absolutely no bliss but very pi- - ed!

Save yourself the disappointment and go somewhere where the business stands behind their services and have the integrity to follow through with what they advertise.

In addition, the ambience and decor is not conducive for relaxation- too bright and lousy music.

Visited July 2011
5 Thank TorresFam6
Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Love/hate relationship”
Reviewed August 21, 2010

I like Bliss a lot but not all of their services justify the cost.

I used to regularly get bikini waxes at Bliss. I think the wax they use makes the process less painful (the wax cools and they pull it off without a muslin strip). The wax and/or lotion they use afterwards smells amazing. Also, they give you a pair of disposable paper panties for modesty. However, I eventually switched to another spa that uses the traditional wax with a muslin strip. Although I think it’s more painful, I find the hair takes longer to grow back. Also, if the only service you book is the bikini wax, you will not get the robe and slippers – you change in the same room the waxing is done.

Another service I wouldn’t go to Bliss 49 for is a manicure and pedicure. At least at the 49th street location, the spa is located on the 4th floor but there is a Bliss store located on the ground level. The mani/pedi stations are in the store, on the ground level – not very luxurious or relaxing in my opinion.

But the reason I decided to write a review is the facial. It was my first facial and I waited so long to get one because my face is sensitive. I booked the basic Best of Skintentions. All my fears were dispelled when I began talking with my esthetician. She was very knowledgeable, assessed my problems areas and customized the facial to my specific needs. I felt my face was in good hands. The facial was relaxing with plenty of neck, shoulder, arm and leg massaging. My face was a little red afterwards but it was gone by that night. The results were great and I didn’t breakout afterwards. Furthermore, I was expecting a hard sell for facial add-ons and Bliss products. To my surprise I didn’t feel pressured into buying the add-ons and while the esthetician did make suggestions for Bliss products, I simply nodded and later told the woman at check out that I wasn’t interested. It was a great experience and I’m planning on going back.

While I was in the waiting room another guest was raving about the Carrot and Sesame scrub that includes a Vichy shower which apparently doesn’t require you to get off the table. Sounds like a lot of fun and I’m going to give it a try next time.

1 Thank CapitanPatapalo
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Never Again!”
Reviewed November 8, 2008

I am starting a new job on Monday so I thought I would treat myself to a 75 min Blissage at Bliss49.

When I arrived, I got into a robe, headed to the waiting room and began to relax as I sipped my lemon water with about 17 other women crammed in the room (granted it was a Friday afternoon so I am willing to accept that).

My massage therapist called my name and once we reached the massage room she informed me that there was "a problem with a steam pipe in my massage room so it may be extra warm and I may hear the steam going off, but we will be ok" (and there really wasn't an alternative).

Well it wasn't until 5 minutes into my massage that I experienced the "steam leak" Literally a blaring loud burst PPPPSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTT for 10 seconds - like the sound of a steam train- IN MY ROOM! In contrast to the near silence and soft music, it made me jump out of my skin!

This continued to happen every 10-15 minutes throughout the massage. All the tension that I wanted to melt away increased 10 fold! How is this acceptable?

When I checked out, I told the girl about my extremely uncomfortable experience. She offered to call a manager. When the manager arrived she simply told me "the steam problem needs to be fixed by the W Hotel" and also mentioned that "had I ordered a shower treatment, I would have heard the steam noise".

This explanation made little sense to me. Because it needs to be fixed by the W, it's the client’s problem? Why are YOU placing clients in there? And the shower treatment explanation, how does that relate? If I ordered a wax, I'd have my hair pulled out, but that is not what I ordered.

Finally the manager agreed to discount the price of the massage; she quietly typed something on the computer and walked away. The checkout girl said "ok now your total is $125"

I am a repeat customer and received no apologies- just $25 off my massage on a locomotive. I left Bliss with even more tension than when I arrived. I do not plan to return.

6 Thank bluelotus