“The Worlds longest residency!!!”

The Village Vanguard
Book In Advance
More Info
$50.00*
and up
Greenwich Village Walking Tour with Food Tasting
Ranked #17 of 870 Nightlife in New York City
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Catch the Vanguard Big Band, on Monday nights. The hottest players in town make up this institution. The Village Vanguard is a great room with excellent acoustics.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

The Village Vanguard is the best! We saw Joe Lavano and he was fabulous. The Vanguard is in
a basement in lower manhattan. I don;t think a thing has changed since it opened in 1935. It;s small and tight and the atmosphere is perfect. Drinks only. I love the place, I'll be back soon!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I've been here several times. Went last Saturday. Didn't have tickets or a reservation so we didn't know whether we'd get in until everyone else was seated. Got seated at the bar, which was nice since it was higher than the chairs on the floor and you could see over everyone.
The atmosphere is fantastic. A landmark Jazz Club where all the greats have played. Down a long flight of stairs to a dark room. The band walks right through the audience to get to the stage, greeting fans on their way. Acoustics were excellent.
$25 admission, and 1 drink minimum.
The show lasted around 1.5 hours. Pretty typical.
If you like jazz....gotta check this place out.
Oh.....we saw Kenny Barron Quintet......AWESOME!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

The Vanguard is the kind of club that typifies the stereotype of what a jazz club is "supposed" to be: it's relatively small and highly intimate, it's in a basement, and in the old days before anti-smoking ordinances, it must have been full of cigarette smoke and very uncomfortable for non-smokers. Thankfully, there is no smoke these days and the club is just as intimate as ever and still run by the same family, continuously since the 1930s. I love how straightforward this place is. When I called for a reservation, I was told exactly what it would cost, when to get there, when my reservation would be released to someone else if I didn't show up, etc.

What really makes the Vanguard for me is that I can usually count on their having top jazz talent at a fair price (especially when compared to other NYC clubs) and the room just oozes jazz history. So many of jazz's greatest names have recorded live at the Vanguard that one can almost feel their presence when entering the room. If you go to the men's room before or after the show, you're likely to run into the artists in the narrow hallway. For lovers of jazz and jazz history, the Vanguard is the real meal deal!

1  Thank SteveLikes_3_Stars
Reviewed May 27, 2013

An intimate and wonderful experience of old jazz world, drinks only, no food. Excellent old jazz musicians in a small and packed room. Two shows, reservations strongly recommended, often sold out.