“The staff can not be more rude!!”

The Village Vanguard
Book In Advance
More Info
$37.50*
and up
Greenwich Village Walking Tour with Food Tasting
Ranked #9 of 873 Nightlife in New York City
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The staff can not be more rude!! What happened there last Friday (May 3rd) was unbelievable! I arranged to go with Brazilian friends to the 10:30 pm show. We purchased the tickets online in advance. At the last minute, a friend decided to join and go too. Part of the friends arrived before and texted saying they were already seated at a table. Then we arrived in a group of 5 people with 4 tickets. We handled the tickets to the guy at the door and while a friend was explaining that we needed an extra ticket, another friend went to talk to the friends who were already there. At this point, turns another employee called JED EISENMAN to me and says "What is she doing there?", I replied that she had gone to talk with friends who were sitting and see if there was a free table near them. He: "I'm the one who seats people here!", very rude. He continued: "Can you tell me exactly how many are you?". I replied "we 5 that just arrived plus the group that is over there" and pointed to the table. That's when he says: "Can't you see from here? ARE YOU BLIND?". I was shocked! What kind of question is that?? I replied: "why are you being so rude to a client?." He increasingly nervous said "you know I can give back your money and not let you in?". Meanwhile, the others were still trying to explain to the guy at the door that we needed an extra ticket, we were 5 with 4 tickets and that one person had gone up to the table of our friends. Mr. Eisenman turns to me and says "you know what, I don't like you, you're not staying. Get out and I'll refund your money in your credit card". Do you believe that?? I said "ok, but give me cash. I have no reason to trust that you refund my ticket". Mr. Eisenman gave me the money. The four friends decided to go out with me. Mr Eisenman returned their money with hands trembling with hatred - and none of us was exalted, shouting or anything - and said "take this, I don't care, I don't need money, I just want you out of here, now, fast, get out". The whole thing was a complete shock for us! We couldn't believe how a staff of a music venue could be that rude (not to say crazy)!! Definitely, a place we will never go again!
ps. The friends that stayed in said the music wasn't worth at all...

6  Thank Mariana F
in 19 reviews
"stage"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Went last night. Really enjoyed ourselves. Great jazz. Recommend to anyone who enjoys good music. The service was fine, the ambiance funky.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

By no means a Jazz expert, my very first visit to the Village Vanguard was actually a seminal event for me musically. I had the pleasure of seeing Tom Harrell's sextet perform his newest composition "Colors of a Dream" in the nostalgic and historic Vanguard setting. He was accompanied by Esperanza Spalding and Jameel Shaw, among others. I sat in this great Jazz institution completely enthralled by it's intimacy, acoustics and vibe. A one drink minimum is fair and it's not too pricey. The only complaint is that an early show has to clear out pretty quickly to make way for the second seating. Esperanza Spalding's voice is like listening to sunshine......

Reviewed March 24, 2013

If you are sentimental about jazz history - take a picture of Village V from outside and that will leave you with better sentiments. There is nothing inside this place that holds up to its history. Go listen to great musicians anywhere else in the city- there is definitely no shortage of excellent jazz clubs in NYC. We spent 10 days in NY going to several jazz clubs every evening- all were truly awesome, except this one.

BTW this review is based not only on my sole bad experience - several of my friends encountered the same problem at VV.

3  Thank TipATi
See more reviews
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I spent many memorable nights listening to the world's greatest jazz artists at the Vanguard. It is still the center of the jazz universe for me and for many, but one goes to the Village Vanguard for the music - not to talk, not to socialize, not to drink. Of course you can do any of those, but those are incidental. This is THE jazz spot. When one nabs a table close to the stage you can find yourself lost in the magic of creative improvised music. Miles and Trane and Bill Evans are gone, but on any given night at the Vanguard, lightning can strike and new legends are born. It's the music, and nothing else matters.