“This is what NY is about!”
Review of Swing 46

Swing 46
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and I walked past this place during our many walks. Asked about it during the day and they were fully booked but left our details to accommodate, as we advised we were from Australia and had limited days in NY. I rang back the next day and they had us in mind and we rolled up and they managed to get us a table after some people had left. Front row. We booked for another night and went back again with the same excellent table. We found another two venues but came back here as not only was it excellent music, entertainment but the food was great. And the prices were good. I don't know what these other tight arses complaint about. Fine dining, entertainment, how do you think they pay for their overheads. At Lidium we got salad one drink and paid US$105 and they wanted a $20 tip - we walked out. This is what I expected from NY, awesome music and entertaiment. They have professional dance staff who make sure they dance with everyone so that everyone gets that 1920s experience. I want to fly back to NY just for this venue. Don't give it a miss, you will regret it.

There are newer reviews for Swing 46

Reviewed August 26, 2012

First off let me say I'm stuck medically being gluten and soy free (dairy too). It's a huge pain to try and eat out anywhere, but the great staff here made it happen. Hector, our waiter double checked everything for us and we had a lovely leisurely dinner of Red Snapper with a mixed greens salad for a starter. Dessert was sorbet and coffee. The music was fantastic, the Crescent City Maulers put on a great show. Is it pricy, yes. Please don't forget you're going to a supper club and that table is yours for the evening. It's not as though the club can keep making money by sitting tables one after another. There will be a higher price tag on that. If you're out for the evening, love to dance and enjoy jazz and swing, this is the place to go.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We returned here as my girlfriend went here a few years ago with her family and had a brilliant time. So we booked over the phone and at no point was the $12 'music charge' (per person) mentioned, so a bit miffed about that but for the music you get you can't complain, unless...
our bill came to about $200 at the end of the night, for two of us, after many a drink and a bottle of wine (NOT CHEAP). It seemed as if everything on the menu was a bit more expensive to cover the cost for the music but apparently not if they're charging for it!
Nonetheless we pursued a good night. The food was noting special, decent food cooked to a good standard but it was over-priced.
We had a brilliant time and would definitely return for the music, but only if we'd saved a few pennies first!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

The waiter we had was not friendly .. We asked him two times for fresh peppers and we only got it when we finished eating. The food was not very good. I was disappointed.. will never go back !

1  Thank MonctonAcadien
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have to admit, when we saw Swing 46 online, we were excited.....we were thinking that maybe it would be alot like "The Cotton Club" - elegant. We decided to eat at Swing 46, knowing my kids love swing, and I was meeting my daughter's boyfriend for the first time. Everything looked great on the website, so we decided to give it a try. It was so dark when we walked in, we had to allow time for our eyes to become accustom to the darkness. The bar was immediately on your left, which I found strange. It looked more like a narrow, bar room where you have lunch. Not fancy at all, which you would get from the website. The food also looked gourmet on the website. The food presented to us looked nothing like it. We were told the food was great, but there was hardly anything on the plate and it wasn't tasty at all for the price. The entree on the early arrival menu was just as big as the entree on the main menu, for a much cheaper price, and there was hardly any meat on the chicken and hardly any potatoes. My husband was basically ripped off. The shrimp cocktail came in this martini type glass and was served with this stringy cocktail sauce which grossed us out. We looked closer, and we could have sworn it was spaghetti at the bottom of the glass. The music wasn't loud enough to give you the ambiance you wanted for a Jazz Club, and there was a private party going on in the back, and you could hear their music and see what they were doing. This was a total turnoff to me. You want to feel like you are a part of something, but this type of set up made you feel like you were shoved in a corner at a diner. The waitress had no personality, and as I observed her, she really appeared to want to be somewhere else. Since the gratuity was added in for us, we really couldn't give her less. The bathrooms were located downstairs. It smelled like cats. And, it too was dim and could have been more up to date.

This is the second restaurant on Restaurant Row I was totally disappointed in. When your young daughter says "Well, that was a disappointement," that tells you something.

1  Thank Theresa V