“don't go in there”
Review of Gotham Comedy Club

Gotham Comedy Club
Ranked #13 of 147 Fun & Games in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Leading comedy club and host to top talent.
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“don't go in there”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I'm extremely confused by the rave reviews of this place. I've been here twice--years ago and months ago. THEY BOOK HORRIBLE ACTS.

I saw... I can't remember his name(it was February 9). As during my first visit, the headliner was totally clouded by the opening act. His opening act or two were funny guys who got me in the mood for laughs. The host was also great.

The headliner: seemed to be on drugs--not crack or heroin... maybe pills(violins), which made him the opposite of Richard Pryor. Mid-act, I started analyzing any potential hosts'/managers' faces for disappointment or rage... nothing.

Others in the room were in denial, like a father who insists that his teenage daughter who's been on Maury twice is a good girl, lol. I heard constant forced laughs, but the mood in the room wasn't reclined and jovial, but intellectual... I think people were intrigued by the headliner's (perhaps avant garde) approach. Nah, just confused.

It was the loopiest, lamest comedy set ever. I walked by the idiot when leaving and gave him a get-a-job frown, lol, then hurried out rather than imbibe more lameness. I then youtubed a few of their acts. 3/3 comedians seemed equally awful. Nothing is more annoying than buyer's remorse.

I live in Vegas and I've seen better comedy shows for $10, but I never lie about quality.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank jjaylad

Pennsylvania
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Let the Funny Begin”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went to a 10pm Saturday night show, bought the tickets on-line ahead of time. All three comics were funny, two were very, very funny, and had us in tears at times. Some interaction between the comics and the crowd, but not in a nasty way at all which was nice. Everyone was having a good time in the club for sure. The MC was OK, but my wife thought she was very funny also. Very nice staff, efficient method of assigning tables early. Doors opened at 9:30 and we were assigned a table in the front (they actually asked if wanted to sit close or farther back), went downstairs to the bar areas for a drink until management said we could make our way up. Very relaxed atmosphere. We have been to Caroline's, Dangerfield's, etc., and Gotham is right up there, exceeding Dangerfield's actually. We will definitely see a show there again!

Visited April 2013
3 Thank Gunzee
London, United Kingdom
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Funny. Would be funnier if it wasn't being broadcast live on TV though.”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

The comedy was great. Every act hilarious it was being shown live on Comedy Central - and that was more important to the comperes and comedians than whether or not the audience members were genuinely having a good night. Thr funniest guy was the last act, which wasnt filmed for TV and the guy diing the filling (audience fluffer...?!) was very good.

The table service was excellent. Food looked passable. The Pomegranate Martini was one to miss - very fake tasting.

Overall, if you want a quality comedy night, come here. But try to go on a night which isn't being broadcast live on TV.

2 Thank GeraintLT
Philadelphia suburb
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Good time!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Fairly small and intimate, very good show. They also serve some sandwiches and appetizers, which were extremely good, hot and fresh.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank C G
new york, ny
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“Great show last night!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Went to see Amy Schumer who was great as was her opening act. Like most comedy clubs you are packed in like rats and the drink prices are sky high. That being said its decent venue and the show was very funny. We would Definetly return.

Visited March 2013