“Great night out, highly recommend it!”
Review of Cafe Wha?

and up
Private Greenwich Village Tour
Ranked #14 of 874 Nightlife in New York City
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We have just come back from New York and went to Cafe Wha on recommendation from a friend. Aside from a few issues (in depth review below) we had an excellent night! The compare was great and the comedian very funny. The band were superb and our waiter Rick was very attentive.

Now for the negatives...
We made a reservation for 9:30 and it said the doors opened at 8:30. We arrived at 9:00 and had to queue outside for a while. Turns out that most of the other people had made reservations also but you have to wait while they get everyone to their tables. Eventually we were taken in and lead to our table, unfortunately we were stuck right in the corner were we had no room to move and my husband had his back to the band. This is clearly because they try to ram in as many tables as possible.. A bit greedy I feel! So my advice would be to get there at 8:30 to get a good table!
We were told that it was mandatory that we check our coats in to the cloak room which we cued for ages to do - I would strongly advise that you try not to do this! Not only did we have to cue ages to put it in, it took well over half an hour for people to get them back! It was an absolute nightmare! They had just chucked them in all over the place so had no idea where anyone's were! Luckily we paid to stay for the second set so we just carried on drinking and by the time we left there weren't many left so they found them fairly easily.
Please don't let the negatives put you off though as this really did turn out to be a great night for us!

1  Thank TanR
in 8 reviews
"jazz"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

We were told to visit by our Orel concierge it was brilliant! Great band, music and drinks! Would definitely visit again.

1  Thank beckyc17
Reviewed February 16, 2014

No doubt there's a great vibe here - its like going back in time to the 70s. I mean that in a good way - I haven't seen people dancing to a band in the UK for 40 years! Admittedly only covers but extremely well delivered. The atmosphere was great but ruined for me when in my ignorance I only gave the waitress a 10% tip for what had been average service. Having just arrived in NY off the plane I had assumed this was a decent amount but apparently not - she carried on as if this was an insult to her, her family and the USA generally. In short pay a 20% tip or stand by for trouble!

1  Thank TheSaltMan
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We visited Cafe Wha? for the evening of our friend's wedding celebrations and it was the highlight of our whole trip to New York.

I'd have gladly paid double the $10 cover fee just to see the band. The cocktails were pretty bog-standard but the beer was well priced and the waitress (Gladys) couldn't do enough to help us. She was extremely polite and attentive and we didn't wait more than two minutes for a drink even though the bar was at full capactiy.

We honestly didn't mind the cocktails being pretty bog-standard because the band was just such high quality.

My favourite drink of the night was the Cucumber Cooler.

All-in-all a really memorable night with great music.

2  Thank Parrysite2014
See more reviews
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We spent an evening at cafe wha? Celebrating a friends wedding. The house band are amazing! Each member has outstanding talent. They made a big fuss of the bride and groom, getting them up on stage twice. Well worth the $10 entrance fee! Our waitress was really attentive and couldn't be faulted. Really can't praise the house band enough. Would defiantly be top of my list if I return to New York. Plus is was only $8 In a cab from time square.