Ways to Experience Cafe Wha?
from $59.00
from $75.00
from $35.00
More Info
All reviews house band bob dylan jimi hendrix dark basement great musicians new york great history greenwich village comedian songs houseband nyc stage audience voice van jazz
Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

We went to the Saturday night 9 PM house band show and they crushed it!!! A super talented group played to a full house singing at the top of their lungs. They start with a comedian to warm up the room - he was very funny. The band rotated through several lead singers all of whom were super talented and each from a different genre from classic rock to soul to Latin. It was awesome. Our waitress was friendly and kept the beers coming. The seating is a challenge. It was just my wife and I, they pack ‘em in at shared tables, which is all good, but you ought to adjust your mindset upfront for a communal experience. Bottom line - it is always a treat to soak in the extraordinary talent of our fellow humans, wonderful voices were showcased by the house band and this was a great!!!

Reviewed 1 week ago

We had such a good time here! Yes, there is a cover charge, and yes, you share a table with strangers -- but it was awesome. The house band was awesome - we sang along to every song and the dancing was fun. Our server was "on it" and we never had to wait long for a new drink! The are pricey, but, hey, you're in New York! We sat with lovely kids from a local college and 2 marathon runners from Israel - everyone had a great time. I absolutely recommend this for a night of fun!

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The crowds didn’t bother me... the service didn’t bother me... I gave the guy a $20 tip to give us a table with a proper sight line.... that didn’t bother me.

The band...that bothered me.

They weren’t bad, they were mediocre.

Every song they did was 70% correct... and they tried to pull it off as they were doing there own version but it really comes down to 1. The house band are pickup musicians that don’t play together on a consistent basis and 2. They don’t know the songs properly.

A guy in the band literally sat down on stage during a song he didn’t have a part.... SAT DOWN on stage!

I couldn’t get over that I spent cash to listen to such mediocrity in a supposedly historical club on a Saturday night in NYC.

I’ve seen far more professional club bands in smaller markets like Fort Wayne Indiana or Louisville Kentucky.

Reviewed 1 week ago

We booked in advance for "Baldie" on October 26th - featuring the music of Bowie, Lou Reed, the Velvet Underground and Dylan. The band had the legendary Arno Hecht on sax.

The venue is atmospheric - walking in the footsteps of legends. The staff were courteous and friendly. Service was fast and attentive. The food was good but the beer pricey (to us English anyway!) - but that's NYC all over...

Would we go again? Of course. Next time we'll try the house band who, according to many we met, are simply awesome!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We visited Cafe Wha based on a suggestion made by friends who had been there before. We were excited to get there, we paid the $30 entry fee but there was confusion over this for some reason. For starters the band was almost finished so it was ridiculous that we had to pay the full fee. After we'd paid the entry fee and fee to hold my backpack we waited for a seat, one of the guys informed the lady taking us to our seat that we hadn't paid so to sit us in the back!? We never challenged this as it was happening so quickly so we just accepted it and went to our seat.

Anyway it took a while for the waiter to come take our drink order and he also asked us to give him our credit card which would be held until we left. I felt uneasy about this and I was still annoyed about the comment about us not paying! Despite this I wanted to have a good night so just handed over the card anyway and waited for our drinks. Our drinks arrived and we enjoyed the music, the place was crammed though. After finishing our drinks the waiter came over and said if we wanted to stay for the next band we'd have to pay an extra $15, this is despite paying the full fee for only watching a half an hour of a set!! At this point we'd kind of had enough as it seemed like a bit of a scam, so we asked for the bill. The bill came and to my astonishment they had included an extra $30 entry fee on the bill despite already having paid this. I challenged the waiter, who knew this already, and he informed me I would have to speak to the manager. I along with the waiter went up to speak to the manager who took the receipt off me and shrugged his shoulders and then I produced the receipt for the initial payment at which point he said to take the $30 dollars of the bill. My trust in the whole place had vanished and I had to ask for the receipt back as well as my card that was being held.

At this point I was so angry I was shaking but I remained calm, my wife was also confused as to what was going on, I told her to go and get her stuff and that we'll leave a review to reflect our experience. The manager and all the staff could see that we were absolutely fuming and eventually, while I waited for my wife and without us asking, the manager turned round and said he would offer a full refund on the entry fee and drinks. This was good but they shouldn't have even charged us for the initial entry fee. Anyway our night was pretty much ruined due to this experience, it was doubly sore as we had come all the way from Scotland for a once in a lifetime trip. What happened was either down to complete incompetence or they are running a scam that fortunately we were able to avoid eventually. I would hate for anyone else to have the experience we had, the music was alright but drink was expensive. You would probably pay less to go and see a well known band than sit in Cafe Wha all night. Just be careful and if you do go, I hope your experience is far superior to ours.

1  Thank andyg2684
Reviewed September 30, 2018 via mobile

Such an authentic New York experience! Rowdy, loud, outrageous, and safe! Amadou Gaye was AMAZING! Best live music ever. We particularly enjoyed the stand-up comedy before the show. The service was great, given how crowded the place was. Food was not so bad.

Reviewed September 21, 2018 via mobile

The place is good, the service is bad and the treatment non-friendly, but what really disappointed me was the management of the place because I made a reservation for a show. We arrived 40 minutes before it started and we chose good seats to listen to the band that played that night. We sat on the same side of the table (there are shared tables for 8 people) to look directly to the band in front of us, but at one point the waiter approached me and told me to move to the seat in front of my girlfriend when more customers arrive to seat at that same table. I told him that I had chosen those seats because I was interested in watch the stage in front of us, and he answered that that were "the rules" of the place because they were shared tables. I think this is ridiculous because "those rules" doesn't exist in the conditions of reservation nor anywere at the bar. And above all it is really unfair that you arrive early, choose a seat and that other people arriving 1 minute before the show starts be given good seats and you end up watching the show with the stage on YOUR BACK It is an absolute lack of respect for punctuality and even to their own "first-come, first-served basis" policy. Also the fact that I have been forced to leave the backpack I wore in the wardrobe seems reasonable because the place is small and you are practically side by side and at shared tables, but it was a real scam that we have been forced to leave also the small bag of my girlfriend also, charging us 2 USD for the backpack and another 2 for the bag, in total 4 USD !!!!! A ABSOLUTE THEFT. And, of course, neither in the reservation, nor in the web, nor in any place they pre-warn you or inform you. You find out when you have no choice but to enter or leave and lose your reservation (30 USD). Although the show was not bad, I recommend that you do not go to this place in order to create a culture of good service, clear information and proportional rules so that the places work to improve or simply that the competition with good service break them. Do not help these bad services to continue attending to these types of places!

El lugar está bien, el servicio es malo y el trato lamentable, pero lo que verdaderamente me decepcionó fue la gestión del sitio porque hice una reserva para un show. Llegamos 40 minutos antes de que comenzara y el elegimos buenos sitios para escuchar a la banda que tocaba esa noche. Nos sentamos del mismo lado de la mesa (son mesas con capacidad para 8 personas) para tener de frente a la banda, pero en un momento se acercó el camarero y me dijo que debía cambiarme al sitio frente a mi pareja cuando llegaran más clientes a sentarse a esa misna mesa. Le dije que yo había elegido esos lugares porque me interesaba tener una vista de frente al escenario junto con mi pareja, y él respondió que eran "las reglas" del lugar pues eran mesas compartidas. Me parece lamentable porque no está en ninguna de las condiciones de reserva ni en las del bar. Y sobre todo me parece muy injusto que llegues temprano, elijas lugar y que otros lleguen 1 minuto antes de que comience el show y les den buenos lugares y tú termines viendo el show DE ESPALDAS al escenario. Es una absoluta falta de respeto a la puntualidad e incluso a su propia política de "first-come, first-served basis". Asimismo que me hayan obligado a dejar en el guardarropa la mochila que llevaba me parece razonable porque el sitio es pequeño y estás prácticamente codo con codo y en mesas compartidas, pero me parece un timo que nos hayan obligado a dejar también el bolso pequeño y de mano de mi pareja también, cobrándonos 2 USD por la mochila y otros 2 por el bolso, en total 4 USD!!!!! Un ABSOLUTO ROBO. Y, desde luego, ni en la reserva, ni en la web, ni en ningún sitio te pre-avisan ni te informan. Te enteras cuando ya no te queda más remedio que acceder o irte y perder tu reserva (30 USD). Aunque el show no fue malo, recomiendo que no vayáis a este sitio para que se forme una cultura de buen servicio, que sea claro, informado y proporcional de forma que los sitios se esmeren en mejorar o simplemente que la competencia con buen trato y servicio les desplace. No ayudes a que estos malos servicios continúen asistiendo a este tipo de sitios!!!

2  Thank Omar E
Reviewed September 7, 2018 via mobile

Visited here a second time in my first trip to New York. Amazing music, great vibe. The music really involves the crowd and we had a great time. Kevin took great care of us the whole time. He was super nice and made our evening enjoyable.
Don’t miss this place if you are planning a trip to New York.

1  Thank Sherpa183841
Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

This was my third time here and it never disappoints. The music is performed by some really talented people and they play a variety of genres. It’s best to come in a group of 8 if you don’t want to share a booth with others. If not, make friends! They serve bar food - nothing special. We ordered sangria by the pitcher which was very good but the pitcher was full of ice. If you want to enjoy good music this is the place. If you are hungry, I recommend going to a nearby restaurant first.

1  Thank Susan S
Reviewed August 17, 2018 via mobile

It was one of the first clubs visited by Dylan when he arrived in NYC. It was founded in the late '50s by Manny Roth, the uncle of David Lee Roth of Van Hallen. In his autobiography (Chronicles vol 1), Dylan describes it as a dark basement with a low ceiling. A few years later, in September 1966, always on the stage of Cafè Wha? Chas Chandler, former bassist of the Animals, convinced a little-known Hendrix to leave with him for London. Today the coffee wha? lives on the myth of the past times, as can be seen from the historical finds at the entrance. Posters and photos of Hendrix, Springsteen, Little Richards, Richie Havens, Jerry lee Lewis and many others. On the other hand, the current house band is not bad at all. They will make you sing and dance in a truly engaging atmosphere. They proclaim themselves the best band in NYC and maybe they're right. They will offer you covers ranging from rock to react to rap. The food is ok. Service with class and sympathy by the waiters. One of the places to go if you are in New York.