“Saw Chicago here”

and up
Chicago On Broadway
Ranked #220 of 1,151 things to do in New York City
Reviewed December 16, 2013

This theater was a lot smaller than I expected, but I think that means no seat is a bad seat. I sat in the front row which was really too close but overall it was a lovely old theater. The staff all seemed surly and I don't think any of them enjoyed their job. Don't trust google directions to get you there though, you're better off inputting the exact address rather than Ambassador Theater.

3  Thank mountainsara
"play"
in 9 reviews
"concessions"

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We enjoyed Chicago at the Ambassador overall, but wo days earlier we had attended "Phantom" at the Majestic, and the contrast between the two theaters, and productions, was startling. The Ambassador is considerably smaller, and has a more tired, run-down feel to it. Bathroom facilities are upstairs and small, thus long lines develop quickly. The staff seemed more abrupt and less welcoming here than at the Majestic, and were borderline rude with the patrons the day we were there. We love the play Chicago, and it didn't disappoint this day, but we were struck by the lack of scenery changes of any kind - the orchestra is on risers on-stage the entire play. That lack of variation grew a bit tiresome for me. But the acting and singing, and orchestra accompaniment, was very good. If you are trying to choose between Phantom and Chicago, my wholehearted recommendation would be for Phantom, both as a superior production and venue.

1  Thank IowaBoy1
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Very nice theater. We were seated quickly. This was my first time seeing a Broadway show and we went to see Chicago. I had a fantastic time.

1  Thank nes25
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Saw Chicago at the Ambassador. Enjoyed the interpretation. Theater itself was very tired and rundown. Disappointing that no one seems to dress for the occasion. Had gone out for dinner before the show and felt extremely overdressed.

2  Thank maoneill
See more reviews
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We went here to see Chicago and after 30 minutes several couples including us, left. The stage was tiny and you couldn't hear the show. The seats were way to small for my husband to be comfortable. The bathrooms were extremely tiny. We paid $100 a ticket online before going to New York and people were purchasing them for $30 at the ticket counter!! What a waste of $$$. And our seats were at the top. Never again. Will never go here again. Live and learn. Our first trip to New York and our last.

3  Thank adventurermom