“An Authentic Italian Gem in Manhattan” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Masseria

La Masseria
Reserve with OpenTable
La Masseria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 13,089 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between Broadway and 8th Avenue
Transit: N, R & W trains to 49th Street and E and 1 train to 50th Street.
Description: La Masseria Restaurant is inspired from ancient fortified farmhouses that in the Puglia Region of Italy are called “Masseria”. Executive Chef/Co-Owner, Pino Coladonato, grew up on a Farm in Puglia. He was forced to eat whatever was available but soon was tired of bean puree and decided to take matters into his own hands, creating new ways to use the same few ingredients. Now, with limitless ingredients to choose from, fava beans, chickpeas and lentils are still a core element in many of his entrees. Interior Designer Libby Langdon has created a warm, inviting dining atmosphere. Rustic and relaxed, with plenty of old world charm. Oversized iron sconces custom made from antique wrought iron gates punctuate the walls, and artful displays of antique farm tools mixed with various authentic Italian photographs all add to the farmhouse appeal. The 250-bottle wine list encompasses all regions of Italy with few of the best American and the rest of the world.
new jersey
“An Authentic Italian Gem in Manhattan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

La Masseria is a restaurant that we return to time and again. It is a charming venue, with wonderful service, authentic cuisine and an Italian (bilingual) speaking staff. On our most recent visit, Maurizio was our server. He was delightful! He and my husband spoke in Italian and he kindly translated for me. The menu has so many interesting items it was hard to make choices, but we were very happy with everything that we tried, from the insalata Masseria, to the fettucini bolognese, to the grilled orata, and the chicken with sausage. For a lovely New York restaurant in the theater district, La Masseria is fairly priced. It deserves all the praise that it has gotten.

2 Thank 2njtravelers_9

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic Italian food a real gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I have been going to this restaurant for years & it never disappoints The pasta is authentic flavors excellent and so are the meat and fish dishes also deserts We took our NY friends & they loved it

Norwalk, Connecticut
“Pre Matinee lunch at an outdoor table...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were walk ins at 1245, going to see a Saturday matinee right across the street at the Longacre theatre. Covered sidewalk tables looked like they would be great on a comfortable weather day, and they were, although the chairs were a bit flimsy.

Made a mistake right up front... I didn't tell them we had 2 PM show tickets. But based on the quick arrival of the really good waiter and other staff, I guess I assumed they would move things along in plenty of time. Only partly right.

Anyway, we went with the waiters recommendation on a white wine ($11 per glass) and it was indeed very refreshing on a slightly warm day. The warm bread came very quickly and had olive oil and capers with it, along with some thin breadsticks with a cheese flavor. excellent taste.

We split an appetizer of fried calamari, shrimp and scallops, which, at $17 seemed like a lot. But rather than plopping down one dish and two butter plates for us to share, they split the order and made both servings look really nice in the kitchen which was really nice. The crust on all was very light, with the right amount of crunch... very good. And it came very quickly.

But then the wait began. 15 minutes elapsed from the time they cleared the appetizer plates. I finally had to ask and told them we were in a bit of a rush. I had ordered a penne dish with a light tomato sauce and bacon which showed up 5 minutes later, and my wife had the linguini with clam sauce. My dish was great but the linguini had clearly been rushed... al dente in the extreme.

Staff again was excellent, they got the bill for me while we were eating, and we were able to finish most of the meal before we ran out to get to our show.

I accept my blame for not telling them... but it would have been a much better experience if they had just asked at the beginning of the meal "headed to a show today?" Anyway, I would definitely return to give them another shot. Most of the food was excellent, and the linguini would have been better given an extra few minutes. Great pre or post show place!!

1 Thank taxman53
oostrozebeke
“Great authentic food, good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The restaurant was packed, but still service was very good, personal and friendly. We loved the authentic italian cuisine, with a modern twist. Impressive wine list. Our wine was corked and it was changed without any problem. The fish was very fresh.

Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“One of my New York favorites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was referred to La Masseria several years ago when I was in NY on business and since then, I moved to the area and made it one of my go-to restaurants for business and personal events. I especially like their seafood salad appetizer and find all of their entrees balanced .... not too rich, yet very flavorful. My wife is gluten free and they always find a way to accommodate her even if the menu needs to be modified.
Staff is highly professional and personable which makes the experience a great overall value

• Visited May 2013