“Excellent neighborhood Indian”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Pippali

Pippali
Reserve with OpenTable
Pippali is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,965 of 13,554 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Families with children
North Bethesda, Maryland, USA
“Excellent neighborhood Indian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had dinner here for Valentine's Day. All the dishes we had were superb, mainly vegetarian with good, but not overpowering spice, wonderful favors. The service was attentive and friendly but not overbearing.

Visited February 2014

Haifa, Israel
“unusually refined and aesthetic cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

I live two blocks away from this restaurant and never thought to go in before. Upon discovering a connection with Tamarind, a very upscale and excellent Indian restaurant, we decided to try it out and were not disappointed.

The decor is muted and in good taste. We both got a kick out of the background music.

For appetizer, we ordered paniyaram jhinga, baked baby shrimp and seasoned rice cakes with coconut. The four delectable pieces are very ample for two diners.

We shared two mains though one would have been enough. The portions are generous. Neer Dosa, a south Indian rice crepe with a mélange of pan grilled seafoood and mango chutney was delicious. The crepe was a little tough but the seafood was wonderfully seasoned. Our second dish, Mutsch, was kashmiri lamb koftas in fennel ginger yogurt sauce with beets and lotus. I loved the buttery, crunchy, nutty flavour of the lotus. The lamb was delicious. It came with just enough minted rice to soak up the sauce from the lamb. There were a few gristly bits in the lamb and the koftas themselves were a little too densely packed for my palate. Both main dishes were beautifully plated. Obviously, the person cooking is very careful with seasoning, balancing the flavours perfectly and making our tastebuds sing.

We were given extra jasmine rice on the side which we didn't need.

The desserts looked scrumptious but we were so full we were bursting and couldn't indulge.

My advice is to order three appetizers and go straight to dessert. Or share one appetizer and one main for two people.

Service was friendly and efficient. No complaints. I can't wait to go back.

• Visited February 2014
sydney
“Authentic, fresh, crisp and spicy.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

The food here is very good. Authentic with fresh, crisp flavours. We had the parpi chat, murgh tikka marsala, the neer dosa, the lamb cutlets, bihari dal, roti and paratha and rice, then ordered Chicken Tandoori (we were already full but kept on eating). The mango Lassi was the best I have ever tried. The atmosphere is lovely. Simple, clean and modern with the perfect lighting. Highly recommended.

Sarasota, Florida
“BEAUTIFUL meal, fantastic service, great wine. Best experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

This restaurant was phenomenal. The flavors were great, the owner was super helpful in helping me decide and it was just the nicest lunch we had in NYC. Everything tasted great and the spices were just perfect (I like my curry hot)! I loved this place and will definitely return next time I am in town. Bravo!

Princeton Junction, New Jersey
“Finely balanced flavors, a delight for lovers of Indian cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

I have to admit, I have only tasted Pippali as take out. However, the flavor combinations are excellent. The Chapli Shorba is pleasantly spicy with a hint of sourness to cut through it. The Sedai Pakoti was perhaps a little greasy, however inclusion of the cranberry relish helped combat it. The Dum Bhindi should be an example how to present okra in this day and age on Murray Hill. The Degh Murgh is an fine example of chicken curry: crisp spices and herbs in an appropriately thick sauce with chunks of succulent chicken (I am not a fan of watery curries). Mutsch is a rather large kofta in a sauce of fennel and yoghurt, the spiciness is balanced with crunchy lotus roots and chunks of sweet beets. All dishes tried have been well received and it is certainly a place we are going to keep going back to when ordering our dinners at NYU.