“Not terrible, but wouldn't go back”

Chelsea Inn - 11th Avenue
Ranked #436 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Viana do Castelo, Portugal
“Not terrible, but wouldn't go back”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Overall, this isn't a terrible place, the rooms are ok, especially counting on the price and location. Maybe it could be updated. Didn't find the staff nice or helpful at all.

My bad experience relates most to the fact the manager was dishonest. My boyfriend and I rented a family room (for 4 people) on purpose just because it was the only room in the hotel that had a private bathroom. For us this is a break deal. On arrival, we realise the room only had a small sink. Then, we lost half a day of our vacation waiting for the manager to arrive so we could solve the problem. The manager told us they had notice the mistake some weeks before and had sent an e.mail to us (which isn't truth at all!). At the end he offered two solutions: take the room or find another one. After 3500 miles and already half a day of a most needed vacation lost, we resigned to the fact that at that point we wouldn't find another room.

I will never set a foot in that hotel again!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ElianaEMesquita

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I actually stayed in this hostel 3 nights over-all. My sister and I the first night, the second two nights alone. The best thing about this hostel is that it is relatively cheap and all 3 times I stayed it was last minute (and there was room!)
The staff were very nice, and there's free wifi and a big tv in the common area, however, the rooms are not great. I think it depends a lot on who you stay with, I stayed with one woman that was absolutely horrible, but yes, the facilities are not really that good. One of the showers was cold, and the rooms were kind of cold and under-furnished. Also breakfast is bagels and butter/jam..not great either.
However, the neighbourhood is safe (I felt safe at least and saw many families etc around) and if you need a stay last minute, this works fine.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Irene Sylva K
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Room Tip: This Hostel was without doubt, the worst I have ever stayed in. The atmosphere was really creepy and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank mylove20512

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed November 10, 2011

This Hostel was without doubt, the worst I have ever stayed in. The atmosphere was really creepy and conditions were absolutely filthy, toilets on two of the three floors didn't work, taps didn't work and the bathrooms were grimey and literally had dirt covered spiderwebs in the corner! The showers were covered in disgusting brown water stains. The stairs are literally falling to pieces and crumbling and the walls were covered in stains too (not to mentioned ripped up wallpaper). It is also worth noting the whole hostel had the dank odour somewhat resembling a damp carpet and/or urine or something I couldnt put my finger on. I know people will say "you get what you pay for" but its actually comparable in price to other hostels I stayed at in NY that weren't anywhere near as bad. I stayed for two nights because everywhere else was booked and that was the soonest I could leave.

The few staff I did see (who appeared about 16 or 17 years old max?) were actually really nice and I dont blame them for the state of the hostel, as it appeared to be grossly understaffed. This building needs some serious attention and investment before it can come anywhere close to being a respectable hostel. At the moment it gives a really bad impression of NY which isn't fair on the city and I would recommend you avoid this place at all costs.

One more thing: it was really far to walk to any of the underground train stations so you couldn't easily transport yourself anywhere quickly.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Andrew H
tanzboden
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Almost half the bathrooms in this hostel were inoperable. Musty smell in stairwell. Room could use a bit more furniture. A few more munchies could be offered for sale in the lobby because of the long walk to subway & stores, otherwise very good location. Price is not bad. Service is very good-the staffers are freindly. Noise level is quite acceptable. Many of the rooms have 2 bunks, so if you easily get the willies from a strange place, you could ask for a 2-bed dorm room if traveling with a companion (or if alone, you could ask to pay double for a room to yourself. They do separate the dorms by gender). The backpacker guests are from all over the globe & quite friendly. For globe-trekkers on the younger side, this place would likely suffice. I like it better than Sunshine Hotel in Chinatown, but not nearly as much as the Gershwin on all counts. Just a little effort could improve the Chelsea a lot.

Room Tip: ask for a room with an outside window & on a floor with working bathroom; will be sunnier
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
olympia wa
Reviewed June 5, 2010

This Hotel is the most disgusting hotel i've ever stayed in. a rat actually ate my food when ii went to use the bathroom in the hallway for less than five minutes. i payed $65 to try and sleep in a rat infested hotel, the main problem was that there is a very loud Night club downstairs. the pumping music was very loud until 4am when they closed. that's fine if you caan sleep all day... and the staff was so rude they actually insulted my mother over the phone when she tried to contact me. over all. when visiting nyc i'd raather pay a few extra dollars and stay at a nicer hotel... I'd give this hotel zero stars.. Traveler

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank jason98502
LA
Reviewed January 3, 2010

This is one shady place! Very creepy, dirty and disgusting. I think it's run by mobsters. It's got rodents and cockroaches too. I'll tell you right now...RUN!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends